defence ; but it was in vain, for their men were so scattered and confused that most of them saved themselves by flight as well as they could. Those who had stood their ground were either killed or taken: in the number of the first were James de Helly and Anthony de Vienne, with fifty or sixty Burgundians and English. From four score to a hundred were made prisoners, the chief of whom were sir Thomas Kiriel and two of his kinsmen, valiant men-at-arms, Robert and William Courouan, sin Daviod de Poix, l'Aigle de Saincts knight, I'Hermite de Beauval, and others, to the numbers aforesaid. Sir Gerard de Brimeu attempted to escape, after the defeat, to Roye, whence he had come; but, the trappings of his horse being very brilliant with silversmith's-work, he was closely pursued, and carried away prisoner with the others. When the business was over, Poton, having collected his men, led his prisoners to Guerbigny, but not before they had stripped the dead, among whom were not more than four or five of the French. He and his men refreshed themselves that day and night at Guerbigny, and on the morrow he departed with his whole force, leaving the castle in charge with the townsmen. In like manner he dislodged the garrison of La Boissiere, and set it on fire. He went to Ressons-sur-Mas, and thence to Compiègne, with his prisoners, where he was joyfully received, on account of the victory he had gained over the enemy. James de Helly was interred in the church, with a few others of the dead; the rest were buried in the church-yard near to the place where they had been slain.


The duke of Burgundy received the news of this unfortunate defeat at Peronne on the very day when it happened. He was greatly affected by it, more especially for the loss of James de Helly and Anthony de Vienne, and instantly called together the captains then with him, namely, sir John de Luxembourg, the vidame of Amiens, the lord d'Antoing, the lord de Saveuses, and others of his household, with whom he determined to fix his quarters at Lihons in Santerre, and he marched thither that day. On the morrow, he advanced to Roye in the Vermandois, where he remained eight days waiting for the earl of Stafford, the earl of Arundel, and other Englishmen, to whom he had sent orders to join him.

During this time, many of the captains of king Charles collected a body of about sixteen hundred combatants, and, under the command of the marshal de Bousac, the count de Vendôme, sir James de Chabannes, William de Flavy, Poton de Saintrailles, the lord de Longueval, sir Regnault de Fontaines, sir Louis de Vaucourt, Alain Guyon, and Boussart Blanchefort, marched in good array near to Mondidier, and thence went to quarter themselves at two villages two leagues distant from Roye. Very early on the ensuing day they held a council, and unanimously determined to offer combat to the duke of Burgundy and his army, if he would meet them in the open country; and that their intentions might be publicly known, they sent a herald to the duke with their challenge. The duke, on receiving it, agreed to meet them in battle. The matter, however, was delayed by his council, who remonstrated with him on the impropriety of risking his person and honour against such people, as they had not with them any prince of equal rank with himself for him to contend with. They also stated, that he was weak in numbers, and that his troops were dispirited from the defeat they had lately suffered, and the loss of James de Helly, as well as by their retreat from before Compiègne. The duke, much grieved that he could not follow his own inclinations, assented to the advice of his council. They sent, therefore, an answer to the French, that if they would wait until the morrow, they should be unmolested in their quarters; that even provision should be sent them, and that then sir John de Luxembourg would engage them in battle, for which he was willing to give sufficient securities. . .

The French, on receiving this answer, said, they would not consent to it; but that if the duke of Burgundy was willing to advance into the plain, they were ready to combat him. While these messages were passing, the duke drew his men up in battle array without the town of Roye: the French were also in order of battle, fronting him; but it was difficult to pass from one army to the other, by reason of the deep marshes that were between them

[ocr errors]

Some skirmishing, nevertheless, took place until night-fall, which forced the French to retire toward Compiègne, very indignant at the duke's conduct, and making great mockeries of him and his men, saying they were afraid to fight them. Thus the two armies separated, and the duke re-entered the town of Roye, -when shortly after arrived the earl of Stafford, with about six hundred combatants. The duke now left Roye, and went to quarter himself at Leigny-les-Chastiniers, where was a small castle, in which was the abbot de St. Pharon de Meaux, brother to the lord de Gamaches, with about forty of the French. The duke summoned them to surrender, which they refused,—and he instantly made an attack which gained him the lower court. Finding they could not hold out longer, they submitted themselves to the duke, who gave them up to sir John de Luxembourg, for him to do his will with them, and the castle was burnt and razed. The inhabitants of Noyon sent to request of the duke, that he would deliver them from the garrison of the castle of Irle: but as it was now winter, and the duke had not those with him whom he looked for, he returned to Montdidier, wherein he placed a garrison, and thence by Corbie to Arras, and to Flanders. The earl of Stafford marched his Englishmen back to Normandy. In this year, the town of Coulomiers-en-Brie was taken by scalado, at daybreak, by part of king Henry's garrison from Meaux. The governor of Coulomiers for king Charles was Denis de Chally, who, hearing the disturbance, escaped with many others over the walls, abandoning their effects. The town was full of all sorts of wealth, for it had not been taken during the whole of the war by either party: it was now completely pillaged, and the inhabitants who had remained were heavily ransomed. In this year, Pierre de Luxembourg, count de Conversan and Brayne, and successor to the inheritances of the count de St. Pol, made some agreement with his two brothers, namely, Louis bishop of Therouenne and sir John de Luxembourg, respecting this succession. In consequence of which the bishop was to have the castle of Hucties, in the Boulonois, and the castlewick of Tingry with its dependencies; sir John de Luxembourg was to have for himself and his heirs the county of Ligny in Barrois, the lands in Cambresis formerly belonging to Waleran count de St. Pol, namely, Bohain, Serin, Helincourt, Marcoin Cautaig, and other great lordships. From this time, sir John de Luxembourg bore the titles of count de Ligny, lord de Beaurevoir and de Bohain. The whole of the remaining estates and lordships were enjoyed by sir Pierre de Luxembourg, who henceforward took the titles of count de St. Pol, de Conversan, de Brayne, and lord of Enghien. On the 30th day of September, in this year, the duchess of Burgundy was brought to bed, in the town of Brussels, of a son, who was christened Anthony; which event caused the greatest rejoicings in that town and country. At this time the count de Nucle, nephew to the emperor of Germany, was in Brussels, where he kept a noble estate; and he and some of his attendants, when they went abroad, wore green chaplets on their heads to signify that they were bachelors, although the weather was very severe. The count de Nuchy stood godfather for the new-born son of the duke of Burgundy, who was christened by the bishop of Cambray. The godmothers were the duchess of Cleves and the countess of Namur. There were three hundred torches, as well from the palace of the duke as from those of the town. The child died in the following year; and when news of it was carried to the duke, he was much vexed, and said, “I wish to God I had died when so young, for I should then have been much happier.” In this same year, sir Anthony de Bethune lord of Maruel was captured in his castle of Auchel, together with about thirty fighting men. It had been besieged by the count de Vendôme, Toumelaire provost of Laon, whom I have before noticed, with great numbers of the commonalty. Sir Anthony, seeing that resistance would be vain, agreed to surrender the place, on condition that he and his men might march away in safety. Notwithstanding this engagement, when he was about to depart he was seized and put to death by these common people, together with a gentleman called Franquet de Beguynes. The count de Vendôme was much grieved at the event, but he could not prevent it. The castle was burned and razed, to the great indignation of sir John de Luxembourg, when he heard what oad passed, because sir Anthony was cousin-german to the lady Jane de Bethune, his wife,

o to the viscount de Meaux; and he conceived a great hatre i against those of Laon or SO (7" vi.1, f. o

CHAPTER C.—SOME CAPTAINS ATTACHED TO SIR JOHN DE LUXEMBOURG SURPRISE THE CASTLE of St. MARtis, whereIN THEY ARE ALL TAKEN AND SLAIN. [A. D. 143].] At the commencement of this year, some of the captains attached tosir John de Luxembourg, such as sir Simon de Lalain", Bertrand de Manicain, Enguerrand de Crequit, and Enguerrand de Gribauval, marched from the borders of the Laonnois, with four hundred combatants, to the abbey of St. Vincent, near Laon, wherein were a body of French. They gained it by surprise, and on their entrance they set up a loud shout, which awakened part of the enemy within a strong gateway, who instantly defended themselves with vigour; and, during this, the lord de Pennesac, then in Laon, was told what had happened. He immediately collected a force to succour those in the gate, who were gallantly defending themselves; and his men-at-arms, enraged to find the enemy so near, lost no time in putting on their armour. They soon marched out of Laon to the assistance of their friends then fighting; but a part of the Burgundians, without finishing their enterprise, or providing for what might happen, had quitted the combat to plunder the abbey. They were, therefore, unexpectedly attacked by these men-at-arms, and with such vigour that they were totally defeated, and sixty of the principal were left dead on the spot: in the number were Bertrand de Manicain and Enguerrand de Gribauval. The last offered a large ransom for his life; but it was refused, by reason of the great hatred the common people bore him for the very many mischiefs he had long before done them. Sir Simon de Lalain was made prisoner, and had his life spared through the means of a gallant youth of the garrison named Archanciel, who was much beloved by the commonalty. Enguerrand de Crequi was taken at the same time with sir Simon and a few others; but the remainder, witnessing their ill success, retreated to the places whence they had come. Sir John de Luxembourg was much afflicted at this event, and not without cause, for he had lost in the affair some of his ablest captains. The brother of the lord de Pennesac, called James, was killed. At the same time, the castle of Rambures, belonging to the lord de Ramburest, then a prisoner in England, was won by the French, under the command of Charles des Marests, who took it by scalado. Ferry de Mailly $ was the governor of it for king Henry. The French, by this capture, opened a free communication with the country of Vimeu and those adjoining, as shall hereafter be shown.

Ch Apter CI.-poton de S.A. intral LLES AND SIR LOUIS DE WAUCOURT Arte M Aide


IN this year, the marshal de Bousacs, Poton de Saintrailles, sir Louis de Vaucourt, and others of king Charles's captains, set out from Beauvais with about eight hundred combatants, to seek adventures, and to forage the country near to Gournay. With them was a

very young shepherd's boy, who was desirous to raise his name in the same way that the Maid had done.

* Either Simon de Lalain, lord of Montigny, younger brother of the lord de Lalain, or another Simon de Lalain, lord of Chevrain, son of a great-uncle of the former, who roarried a lady of the house of Luxembourg, daughter to the count de Ligny.

+ Enguerrand de Crequi, called le Begue, second son of John II. lord of Crequi, and uncle of John IV. who was killed at Azincourt.

† Andrew II., master of woods and waters in Picardy, son of David who was killed at Azincourt, and was master of the cross-bows of France. $ Ferry de Mailly, fourth son of John Maillet de Mailly, lord of Talmas, &c., who, on the death of all his brothers without issue, succeeded to their lordships, and

also to the lordship of Conti, which came into the family by the marriage of Colart, third son of John Maillet, to the heiress Isabel. The lords of Talmas were a younger blacch of the house of Mailly.

| Jean de Brosse, descended from the ancient viscounts de Brosse in the Angoumois, was lord of St. Severe and Boussac, and a marshal of France. He signalised himself in many actions, particularly at the siege of Orleans, and at the battles of Patai and La Charité, and died it. 1433. His son of the same name, who succeeded him, was equally celebrated in the history of the day. He married Nicols de Blois, only daughter and heir of Charles, last count of Penthievre, and transmitted her large possessions to his descendants,

The earl of Warwick had notice of their march, and collected with all haste about six hundred fighting men, whom he led toward Beauvais to meet the enemy. He came up with them, unexpectedly, near to Gournay, and commenced a sharp conflict, in which so little resistance was made by the French that they were soon put to the rout, and Poton de Saintrailles, sir Louis de Vaucourt, and about sixty combatants, were made prisoners. The rest, with the exception of eight or ten who were slain, made their escape with the marshal to Beauvais. The English pursued them to the walls of that town, when the earl of Warwick, assembling his men, returned to Gournay, happy at his good success; and thence he went to the duke of Bedford in Rouen, by whom he was joyfully congratulated on his victory.

CHAPTER CII.-MAILLOTIN DE BOURS AND SIR HECTOR DE FLAVY FIGHT TOGETHER IN the to WN OF AR RAs. ON the 20th day of June in this year, a combat took place in the town of Arras, and in the presence of the duke of Burgundy, between Maillotin de Bours, appellant, and sir Hector de Flavy, defendant. Maillotin had charged sir Hector, before the duke of Burgundy, with having said, that he was desirous of becoming the duke's enemy, and of turning to the party of king Charles; and also, that he had required of him to accompany him in his flight, and to seize Guy Guillebaut, the duke's treasurer, or some other wealthy prisoner, to pay for their expenses. The duke, on this charge, had ordered Maillotin to arrest sir Hector, and bring him prisoner to Arras, which he did in the following manner. Having received this order, he went, accompanied by a competent number of men, to a village near Corbie called Bonnay, and thence sent to sir Hector to come to him. Sir Hector, not knowing that any accusations had been made against him, came thither with a very few attendants, for Maillotin had pretended that he wanted only to speak with him; but no sooner did he appear than he laid hands on him, and carried him prisoner to Arras, where he remained in confinement a considerable time. However, by the exertions of his friends, he was conducted to the presence of the duke in Hesdin,-when he ably defended himself against the charges brought against him, and declared that it was Maillotin himself who made the proposals that he had mentioned. Words at last ran so high that Maillotin threw down his glove, which sir Hector, by leave of the prince, took up. The 20th day of June was fixed on for the combat, and there might be forty days before its arrival. Sufficient pledges were mutually given for their due appearance in person on the appointed day. The duke of Burgundy came from his palace in Arras about ten o'clock of the 20th of June, grandly attended by his nobles and chivalry, to the seat which had been prepared for him in the centre of the lists, in the great market-square, the usual place for tournaments. The counts de St. Pol, de Ligny, and others of rank, entered the seat with the duke. Two handsome tents were pitched at each end of the lists, and without them were two great chairs of wood for the champions to repose in. That of Maillotin, as appellant, was on the right hand of the duke, and sir Hector's on the left. Sir Hector's tent was very richly ornamented with sixteen emblazoned quarterings of his arms, and of those of his ancestors, on each side. There was also a representation of a sepulchre, because sir Hector had been made a knight at the holy sepulchre of Jerusalem. Shortly afterward, Maillotin was summoned by the king-at-arms to appear in person and fulfil his engagements. About eleven o'clock he left his mansion, accompanied by the lord de Chargny”, the lord de Humierest, sir Peter Quierel lord de Ramencourt, and many other gentlemen, his relations and friends. He was mounted on a horse covered with the emblazonments of his arms, having on plain armour, his helmet on and his vizor closed, holding in one hand his lance and in the other one of his two swords; for he was provided with two, and a large dagger hanging by his side. His horse was led by the bridle by two knights on foot; and on his arrival at the barriers he made the usual oaths in the hands of sir James de Brimeu, who had been appointed for the purpose. This dome, the barriers were thrown open, and he entered with his companions on foot, who then presented themselves before the duke of Burgundy. After this, he rode to his chair, where he dismounted, and entered his pavilion to repose himself and wait his adversary. The lord de Chargny, who was his manager to instruct him how to act, entered the tent with him, as did a few of his confidential friends. Artois, king-at-arms, now summoned sir Hector de Flavy in the same manner as he had done the other; and within a quarter of an hour sir Hector left his house and came to the barriers on horseback, fully armed like his opponent, grandly accompanied by gentlemen, among whom were the two sons of the count de St. Pol, Louis and Thibault, who led sir Hector's horse by the bridle. The other lords followed behind on foot, namely, the lord d’Antoing, the vidame of Amiens, John de Flavy brother to sir Hector, Hugh de Launoy, the lord de Chargny, the lord de Saveuses, sir John de Fosseux, the lord de Crevecoeur", . and many more nobles and esquires of rank. On sir Hector's arrival at the barriers, he took the oath, and then presented himself to the duke. He went to his chair, dismounted, and entered his pavilion. Soon after, they both advanced on foot before the duke, and swore on the Evangelists that their quarrel was good, and that they would combat fairly and then returned again to their pavilions. Proclamation was now made by the king-at-arms for all persons, under pain of death, to quit the lists, excepting such as had been charged to guard them. The prince had ordered that eight persons on each side, relations or friends of the champions, should remain within the lists unarmed, in addition to the eight that had been before appointed to raise them, or put an end to the combat, according to the prince's pleasure. The chairs being removed, proclamation was again, made for the champions to advance and do their duty. On hearing this, Maillotin de Bours, as appellant, first stepped forth, and then sir Hector, each grasping their lances handsomely. On their approach, they threw them, but without either hitting. They then, with great signs of courage, drew nearer, and began the combat with swords. Sir Hector, more than once, raised the vizor of his adversary's helmet by his blows, so that his face was plainly seen, which caused the spectators to believe sir Hector had the best of the combat. Maillotin, however, without being any way discouraged, soon closed it, by striking it down with the pummel of his sword, and retreating a few paces. The two champions showed the utmost valour; but at this moment, before any blood had been drawn, the duke ordered further proceedings to be stopped, which was instantly done by those who had been commissioned for the purpose. They were commanded to withdraw to their lodgings, which they obeyed, by quitting the lists at opposite ends : and on the morrow they dined at the duke's table, sir Hector sitting on his right hand. When dinner was over, the duke ordered them, under pain of capital punishment, to attempt nothing further against each other, their friends, or allies, and to lay aside all the malice and hatred that was between them. In confirmation of which, he made them shake hands.

* Peter de Bouffremont, lord of Chargny, a noble Bur- * Matthew II., second son of Philip lord of Humieres, gundian, knight banneret, and of the Golden Fleece. who was made prisoner at the battle of Azincourt.


About this time, some of king Charles's captains, namely, the lord de Longueval, Anthony de Chabannest, Blanchefort, Alain Guion, and others, advanced to the town of Corbie, thinking to take it by surprise. By the activity of the abbot, the place was well defended; and it was also succoured by John de Humieres, Enguerrand de Gribauval, with some more

* James lord of Crevecoeur and Thois, chancellor and at first lord of St. Fargeau. He was born in 1411, and chamberlain to the duke of Burgundy. served as page to the count of Wentadour and to the great

f Anthony, third son of Robert lord of Charlus, killed La Hire. He was at the battle of Werneuil, 1424. In at Azincourt. Stephen, his eldest son, was killed at Cre- 1439, he married Margaret de Nanteuii, counte-s of Damvant in 1423. James, the second, was lord of La Palice, martin, and assumed the title of count de Dammartin by seneschal of Toulouse, and grand master of France, virtue of that marriage. He was grand-master, governor and was killed at Castillon in 1453. This Anthony was of Paris, &c., and died in 1488.

« 前へ次へ »