at-arms and artillery, that the enemy was obliged to withdraw into the town, seeing they could not then succeed in taking it.

It was late in the evening when the French retreated into Compiègne, vespers having sounded some time. The earl of Huntingdon and sir John de Luxembourg, knowing they should not be attacked that evening, called a council of the principal captains to consult on their situation, and determine how they were to act. It was resolved that, on returning to their quarters, they should that night sleep in their armour, and, on the morrow, draw up in battle array before the town, to see if their adversaries were inclined to combat them, expecting from the great dearth of provision they could not remain in such numbers therein without making some sallies.

When this had been settled, the earl of Huntingdon with his English returned to their quarters at La Venette : he promised to have the bridge well guarded, so that none of their men should go away without leave. Sir John de Luxembourg retreated with his force to Royaulieu, and established a strong guard round his quarters, but, notwithstanding this, a great part of his men collected together, and took upon them to depart without sound of trumpet, and go whither they pleased. The most of them crossed this bridge, which, although promised, had not been sufficiently guarded. With them went also some of the earl's men. When the captains heard of this they changed the plan they had determined on the preceding evening, namely, to appear in battle array before the town ; and sir John de Luxembourg, and the others, made preparations to pass the Oise with the earl of Huntingdon. This was done on the Thursday morning early,-on which day the French sallied out of Compiègne in great force, sending forward scouts to learn what was become of the enemy, who soon found they had marched off; and when this was made known to those who had sent them, they and their men were greatly rejoiced. They hastily made for the abbey of Royaulieu, wherein they found plenty of provision and wines, which they devoured till they were satisfied, and made excellent cheer, for it had cost them nothing. Finding the English and Burgundians were decamped, the better-armed part of the French went to the bridge near La Venette, which they destroyed without any great opposition, and threw it into the river in sight of the enemy, abusing them with many villanous expressions ; for the French were now no longer afraid of the Burgundians hurting them, since the bridge was demolished.

They also this day made a serious attack, with all the large cannon from the town, on the fort commanded by Baudo de Noyelle, which damaged it much. But the earl of Huntingdon and sir John de Luxembourg, having again advised with their 'captains, concluded, that as it was impossible at that moment to withstand their enemies with hopes of success, or to keep their men together, it was advisable to withdraw to Noyon, and thence to dismiss their men to their homes. In consequence they sent orders to sir Baudo to set fire to his fort, and march away, which he punctually obeyed. The Burgundians decamped about vespers, in a very disorderly manner, for Pont-l'Evêque, shamefully leaving behind in their quarters, and in the large fort, a great number of huge bombards, cannon, culverines, veuglaires, with other artillery and very many stores, belonging to the duke of Burgundy,—all of which fell into the hands of their enemies. Sir John de Luxembourg was vexed at heart at this retreat, but he could not avoid it. On the Saturday they left Pont-l'Evêque, and went to Roye, and thence, without making any stay, each departed to his own country, or to different garrisons.

The garrison of Compiègne, on their departure repaired the bridge over the Oise, and issued in large bodies, with displayed banners, over those parts that had been possessed by the enemy, bringing back all stragglers, whom they put to death. They burnt many buildings and villages, committing great cruelties in a short time, so that they were dreaded by the country round, and scarcely any person would, from fear of them, venture out of the fortified towns or castles. In short, they created such terror that the following places surrendered to them, without waiting for an attack or striking a blow, namely, Ressons sur Mas, Gournay sur Aronde, le Pont de Remy, le Pont de St. Maixence, Longueil Sainte Marie, the town and strong castle of Bertheuil, the castle of Leigny les Chastigniers, the tower of Vermeil, and others, in which they found abundance of wealth. Having regarrisoned them, they sorely harassed the adjoining countries, more especially those parts that were of the English or Burgundian party.


THE BEAUVOISIS. While these things were passing, the marshal de Bousac collected a great part of the French who had raised the siege of Compiègne, and marched away with cannon and other artillery, to lay siege to the castle of Clermont in the Beauvoisis, at the instigation of some of the townsmen of Beauvais, wherein he and his men were lodged. The lord de Creveceu, his brother Jean de Barentin, the bastard Lamon, with about fifty combatants, were in the castle, and vigorously defended it against the French, who made many assaults, but in vain. Several of their men were killed and wounded : nevertheless, they continued the siege for about twelve days; at which time Boort de Buyentin, with ten combatants and a trumpet secretly entered the castle during the night, by a postern that opened to a vineyard, to assure the lord de Crevecaur that he would very shortly be relieved.

This was true ; for the earl of Huntingdon, who had lately retreated to Gournay in Normandy, again took the field, having with bim sir John bastard of St. Pol, and a thousand fighting men, with the intent to raise the siege. The French hearing of this, marched off one morning very early, leaving behind them the cannon they had brought from Compiègne. They returned to their garrisons, and with them many Burgundians from Clermont who bad joined their party. The lord de Crevec@ur was well pleased at their departure.


BESIEGE GUERBIGNY, ARE ATTACKED AND CONQUERED BY THE FRENCH. Duke Philip of Burgundy was in Brabant when he beard that the French had forced bis med to raise the siege of Compiègne. He was much troubled thereat, as well for the loss of his troops in killed and wounded as for the great sums of money he had expended on this siege. He, however, made preparations to return to Artois with all the men-at-arms he had with bim, and summoned his nobles to assemble as large a force as they possibly could. The duke advanced to Peronne, and sent forward sir Thomas Kiriel, an Englishman, James de Helly, sir Daviod de Poix, Anthony de Vienne, and other captains, with five or six hundred combatants, by way of vanguard, to post themselves at Lihons in Santerre. The duke, in the mean time, was preparing to follow them, having intentions to lodge at Guerbigny, to wait for the arrival of the main body of his men ; for the French had possession of the castle, whence they much annoyed the country.

It happened that these captains whom the duke had sent in advance, dislodged one morning from their quarters at Lihons, and took the road towards Guerbigny, in separate bodies, without keeping any order on their march, or sending scouts forward as experienced men at arms always do, more especially when near their adversaries. Gerard bastard de Brimen, the governor of Roye, now joined them with about forty combatants, and they advanced together to a town called Bouchoire. On their march they put up many hares, which they pursued with much hooting and hollowing, for their captains were very inattentive in not preserving better order,– and many of them had not even put on their armour, for which neglect they suffered severely, as you shall hear.

This same day Poton de Saintrailles had arrived very early at Guerbigny, and taking the garrison with him, advanced into the open country. He had altogether full twelve hundred fighting men, the greater part well experienced in war, whom he led toward Lihons in Santerre, and prudently sent his scouts before him. These, on approaching Bouchoire, heard the shoutings, and saw the state of the enemy, and returned with all haste to give an account of what they had seen and heard. Poton, on learning this, ordered his men instantly to prepare themselves, and led them straight to the enemy, admonishing them to do their duty well against adversaries no way in a state for the combat. Poton and his men advancing thus suddenly, and with a great noise, charged the enemy, and soon threw them into confusion : most part of them were unhorsed by the lances of the French. The leaders, however, and some others, rallied under the banner of sir Thomas Kiriel, and made a gallant

defence ; but it was in vain, for their men were so scattered and confused that most of them saved themselves by flight as well as they could.

Those who had stood their ground were either killed or taken: in the number of the first were James de Helly and Anthony de Vienne, with fifty or sixty Burgundians and English. From four score to a hundred were made prisoners, the chief of whom were sir Thomas Kiriel and two of his kinsmen, valiant men-at-arms, Robert and William Courouan, sir Daviod de Poix, l'Aigle de Saincts knight, l'Hermite de Beauval, and others, to the numbers aforesaid. Sir Gerard de Brimeu attempted to escape, after the defeat, to Roye, whence he had come; but, the trappings of his horse being very brilliant with silversmith's-work, he was closely pursued, and carried away prisoner with the others.

When the business was over, Poton, having collected his men, led his prisoners to Guerbigny, but not before they had stripped the dead, among whom were not more than four or five of the French. He and his men refreshed themselves that day and night at Guerbigny, and on the morrow he departed with his whole force, leaving the castle in charge with the townsmen. In like manner he dislodged the garrison of La Boissiere, and set it on fire. He went to Ressons-sur-Mas, and thence to Compiègne, with his prisoners, where he was joyfully received, on account of the victory he had gained over the enemy. James de Helly was interred in the church, with a few others of the dead; the rest were buried in the church-yard near to the place where they had been slain.


WHICH THE DUKE, BY ADVICE OF HIS COUNCIL, REFUSES. The duke of Burgundy received the news of this unfortunate defeat at Peronne on the very day when it happened. He was greatly affected by it, more especially for the loss of James de Helly and Anthony de Vienne, and instantly called together the captains then with him, namely, sir John de Luxembourg, the vidame of Amiens, the lord d'Antoing, the lord de Saveuses, and others of his household, with whom he determined to fix his quarters at Lihons in Santerre,—and he marched thither that day. On the morrow, he advanced to Roye in the Vermandois, where he remained eight days waiting for the earl of Stafford, the earl of Arundel, and other Englishmen, to whom he had sent orders to join him.

During this time, many of the captains of king Charles collected a body of about sixteen hundred combatants, and, under the command of the marshal de Bousac, the count de Vendôme, sir James de Chabannes, William de Flavy, Poton de Saintrailles, the lord de Longueval, sir Regnault de Fontaines, sir Louis de Vaucourt, Alain Guyon, and Boussart Blanchefort, marched in good array near to Mondidier, and thence went to quarter themselves at two villages two leagues distant from Roye. Very early on the ensuing day they held a council, and unanimously determined to offer combat to the duke of Burgundy and his army, if he would meet them in the open country; and that their intentions might be publicly known, they sent a herald to the duke with their challenge. The duke, on receiving it, agreed to meet them in battle. The matter, however, was delayed by his council, who remonstrated with him on the impropriety of risking his person and honour against such people, as they had not with them any prince of equal rank with himself for him to contend with. They also stated, that he was weak in numbers, and that his troops were dispirited from the defeat they had lately suffered, and the loss of James de Helly, as well as by their retreat from before Compiègne. The duke, much grieved that he could not follow his own inclinations, assented to the advice of his council. They sent, therefore, an answer to the French, that if they would wait until the morrow, they should be unmolested in their quarters ; that even provision should be sent them, and that then sir John de Luxembourg would engage them in battle, for which he was willing to give sufficient securities.

The French, on receiving this answer, said, they would not consent to it; but that if the duke of Burgundy was willing to advance into the plain, they were ready to combat him. While these messages were passing, the duke drew his men up in battle array without the town of Roye: the French were also in order of battle, fronting him; but it was difficult to pass from one army to the other, by reason of the deep marshes that were between them

Some skirmishing, nevertheless, took place until night-fall, which forced the French to retire toward Compiègne, very indignant at the duke's conduct, and making great mockeries of him and his men, saying they were afraid to fight them. Thus the two armies separated, and the duke re-entered the town of Roye,—when shortly after arrived the earl of Stafford, with about six hundred combatants. The duke now left Roye, and went to quarter himself at Leigny-les-Chastiniers, where was a small castle, in which was the abbot de St. Pharon de Meaux, brother to the lord de Gamaches, with about forty of the French. The duke summoned them to surrender, which they refused,—and he instantly made an attack which gained him the lower court. Finding they could not hold out longer, they submitted them selves to the duke, who gave them up to sir John de Luxembourg, for him to do his will with them, and the castle was burnt and razed. The inhabitants of Noyon sent to request of the duke, that he would deliver them from the garrison of the castle of Irle ; but as it was now winter, and the duke had not those with him whom he looked for, he returned to Montdidier, wherein he placed a garrison, and thence by Corbie to Arras, and to Flanders. The earl of Stafford marched his Englishmen back to Normandy.

In this year, the town of Coulomiers-en-Brie was taken by scalado, at daybreak, by part of king Henry's garrison from Meaux. The governor of Coulomiers for king Charles was Denis de Chally, who, hearing the disturbance, escaped with many others over the walls, abandoning their effects. The town was full of all sorts of wealth, for it had not been taken during the whole of the war by either party : it was now completely pillaged, and the inhabitants who had remained were heavily ransomed.

In this year, Pierre de Luxembourg, count de Conversan and Brayne, and successor to the inheritances of the count de St. Pol, made some agreement with his two brothers, namely, Louis bishop of Therouenne and sir John de Luxembourg, respecting this succession. In consequence of which the bishop was to have the castle of Hucties, in the Boulonois, and the castlewick of Tingry with its dependencies; sir John de Luxembourg was to have for himself and his heirs the county of Ligny in Barrois, the lands in Cambresis formerly belonging to Waleran count de St. Pol, namely, Bohain, Serin, Helincourt, Marcoin Cautaig, and other great lordships. From this time, sir John de Luxembourg bore the titles of count de Ligny, lord de Beaurevoir and de Bohain. The whole of the remaining estates and lordships were enjoyed by sir Pierre de Luxembourg, who henceforward took the titles of count de St. Pol, de Conversan, de Brayne, and lord of Engbien.

On the 30th day of September, in this year, the duchess of Burgundy was brought to bed, in the town of Brussels, of a son, who was christened Anthony ; which event caused the greatest rejoicings in that town and country. At this time the count de Nuche, nephew to the emperor of Germany, was in Brussels, where he kept a noble estate ; and he and some of his attendants, when they went abroad, wore green chaplets on their heads to signify that they were bachelors, although the weather was very severe. The count de Nuchy stood godfather for the new-born son of the duke of Burgundy, who was christened by the bishop of Cambray. The godmothers were the duchess of Cleves and the countess of Namur. There were three hundred torches, as well from the palace of the duke as from those of the town. The child died in the following year; and when news of it was carried to the duke, he was much vexed, and said, “I wish to God I had died when so young, for I should then have been much happier.”

In this same year, sir Anthony de Bethune lord of Maruel was captured in his castle of Auchel, together with about thirty fighting men. It had been besieged by the count de Vendôme, Toumelaire provost of Laon, whom I have before noticed, with great numbers of the commonalty. Sir Anthony, seeing that resistance would be vain, agreed to surrender the place, on condition that he and his men might march away in safety. Notwithstanding this engagement, when he was about to depart he was seized and put to death by these common people, together with a gentleman called Franquet de Beguynes. The count de Vendôme was much grieved at the event, but he could not prevent it. The castle was burned and razed, to the great indignation of sir John de Luxembourg, when he heard what had passed, because sir Anthony was cousin-german to the lady Jane de Bethune, his wife, daughter to the viscount de Meaux; and he conceived a great hatred against those of Laon for so doing.

[ocr errors]


[n. d. 1431.] At the commencement of this year, some of the captains attached to sir John de Luxembourg, such as sir Simon de Lalain*, Bertrand de Manicain, Enguerrand de Crequit, and Enguerrand de Gribauval, marched from the borders of the Laonnois, with four hundred combatants, to the abbey of St. Vincent, near Laon, wherein were a body of French. They gained it by surprise, and on their entrance they set up a loud shout, which awakened part of the enemy within a strong gateway, who instantly defended themselves with vigour; and, during this, the lord de Pennesac, then in Laon, was told what had happened. He immediately collected a force to succour those in the gate, who werė gallantly defending themselves ; and his men-at-arms, enraged to find the enemy so near, lost no time in putting on their armour.

They soon marched out of Laon to the assistance of their friends then fighting ; but a part of the Burgundians, without finishing their enterprise, or providing for what might happen, had quitted the combat to plunder the abbey. They were, therefore, unexpectedly attacked by these men-at-arms, and with such vigour that they were totally defeated, and sixty of the principal were left dead on the spot: in the number were Bertrand de Manicain and Enguerrand de Gribauval. The last offered a large ransom for his life; but it was refused, by reason of the great hatred the common people bore him for the very many mischiefs he had long before done them.

Sir Simon de Lalain was made prisoner, and had his life spared through the means of a gallant youth of the garrison named Archanciel, who was much beloved by the commonalty. Enguerrand de Crequi was taken at the same time with sir. Simon and a few others; but the remainder, witnessing their ill success, retreated to the places whence they had come. Sir John de Luxembourg was much afflicted at this event, and not without cause, for he had lost in the affair some of his ablest captains. The brother of the lord de Pennesac, called James, was killed.

At the same time, the castle of Rambures, belonging to the lord de Ramburest, then a prisoner in England, was won by the French, under the command of Charles des Marests, who took it by scalado. Ferry de Mailly S was the governor of it for king Henry. The French, by this capture, opened a free communication with the country of Vimeu and those adjoining, as shall hereafter be shown.


PRISONERS BY THE ENGLISH. In this year, the marshal de Bousac|l, Poton de Saintrailles, sir Louis de Vaucourt, and others of king Charles's captains, set out from Beauvais with about eight hundred combatants, to seek adventures, and to forage the country near to Gournay. With them was a very young shepherd's boy, who was desirous to raise his name in the same way that the Maid had done.

* Either Simon de Lalain, lord of Montigny, younger also to the lordship of Conti, which came into the family brother of the lord de Lalain, or another Simon de Lalain, by the marriage of Colart, third son of John Maillet, to the lord of Chevrain, son of a great-uncle of the former, who heiress Isabel. The lords of Talmas were a younger branch married a lady of the house of Luxembourg, daughter to of the house of Mailly. the count de Ligny.

|| Jean de Brosse, descended from the ancient viscounts + Enguerrand de Crequi, called le Begue, second son de Brosse in the Angoumois, was lord of St. Severe and of Jobn II. lord of Crequi, and uncle of John IV, who was Boussac, and a marshal of France. He signalised himsel. killed at Azincourt.

in many actions, particularly at the siege of Orleans, and at * Andrew II., master of woods and waters in Picardy, the battles of Patai and La Charité, and died in 1433. son of David who was killed at Azincourt, and was His son of the same name, who succeeded him, was equally master of the cross-bows of France.

celebrated in the history of the day. He married Nicole Ferry de Mailly, fourth son of John Maillet de de Blois, only daughter and heir of Charles, last count of Mailly, lord of Talmas, &c., who, on the death of all his Penthievre, and transmitted her large possessions to his brothers without issue, succeeded to their lordships, and descendants.

« 前へ次へ »