« 前へ次へ »
spake to Gedaliah in Mizpah secretly, say-|| 10. Then Ishmael carried away captive ing, Let me go, I pray thee, and I will slay || all the residue of the people that were in Ishmael the son of Nethaniah, and no man || Mizpah, even the king's daughters, and all shall know it: wherefore should he slay || the people that remained in Mizpah, whom thee, that all the Jews which are gathered | Nebuzar-adan the captain of the guard had unto thee should be scattered, and the rem- | committed to Gedaliah the son of Ahikam: nant in Judah perish?
and Ishmael the son of Nethaniah carried 16. But Gedaliah the son of Ahikam said | them away captive, and departed to go over unto Johanan the son of Kareah, Thou shalt to the Ammonites. not do this thing; for thou speakest falsely | 11. But when Johanan the son of Kareah, of Ishmael.
and all the captains of the forces that were CHAP. XLI.
with him, heard of all the evil that Ishmael Ishmael treacherously killeth Gedaliah and others. the son of Nethaniah had done, 1. NOW it came to pass in the seventh 12. Then they took all the men, and went
N month, that Ishmael the son of to fight with Ishmael the son of Nethaniah, Nethaniah, the son of Elishama, of the seed and found him by the great waters that are royal, and the princes of the king, even ten | in Gibeon. men with him, came unto Gedaliah the son 13. Now it came to pass, that when of Ahikam, to Mizpah; and there they did all the people which were with Ishmael eat bread together in Mizpah.
saw Johanan the son of Kareah, and all 2. Then arose Ishmael the son of Netha- the captains of the forces that were with niah, and the ten men that were with him, || him, then they were glad. and smote Gedaliah the son of Ahikam, the | 14. So all the people that Ishmael had son of Shaphan, with the sword, and slew carried away captive from Mizpah cast him, whom the king of Babylon had made about, and returned, and went unto Jogovernor over the land.
hanan the son of Kareah. 3. Ishmael also slew all the Jews that | 15. But Ishmael the son of Nethaniah eswere with him, even with Gedaliah at Miz-caped from Johanan with eight men, and pah, and the Chaldeans that were found went to the Ammonites. there, and the men of war.
16. Then took Johanan the son of Ka4. And it came to pass, the second day reah, and all the captains of the forces that after he had slain Gedaliah, and no man were with him, all the remnant of the peoknew it,
1 ple whom he had recovered from Ishmael 5. That there came certain from Shechem, the son of Nethaniah, from Mizpah, (after from Shiloh, and from Samaria, even four- that he had slain Gedaliah the son of Ahi score men, having their beards shaven, and kam,) even mighty men of war, and the their clothes rent, and having cut themselves, women, and the children, and the eunuchs, with offerings and incense in their hand, to whom he had brought again from Gibeon: bring them to the house of the LORD. , il 17. And they departed, and dwelt in the
6. And Ishmael the son of Nethaniah | habitation of Chimham, which is by Bethwent forth from Mizpah to meet them, || lehem, to go to enter into Egypt, weeping all along as he went: and it came | 18. Because of the Chaldeans: for they to pass, as he met then, he said unto them, were afraid of them, because Ishmael the Come to Gedaliah the son of Ahikam. son of Nethaniah had slain Gedaliah the son
7. And it was so, when they came into | of Ahikam, whom the king of Babylon the midst of the city, that Ishmael the son made governor in the land. of Nethaniah slew them, and cast them into
CHAP. XLII. the midst of the pit, he, and the men that
I Johanan desireth Jeremiah to inquire of God, promising were with him.
obedience. 7 Jeremiah's answer, &c. 8. But ten men were found among them 1. THEN all the captains of the forces, that said unto Ishmael, Slay us not; for we 1 and Johanan the son of Kareah, and have treasures in the field, of wheat, and of | Jezaniah the son of Hoshaiah, and all the barley, and of oil, and of honey. So he for- people, from the least even to the greatest, bare, and slew them not among their brethren. came near,
9. Now the pit wherein Ishmael had cast | 2. And said unto Jeremiah the prophet, all the dead bodies of the men, whom he Let, we beseech thee, our supplication be had slain because of Gedaliah, was it which || accepted before thee, and pray for us unto Asa the king had made for fear of Baasha | the LORD thy God, even for all this remnant; king of Israel; and Ishmael the son of Ne-(for we are left but a few of many, as thine thaniah filled it with them that were slain. leyes do behold us;)
3. That the LORD thy God may show us 17. So shall it be with all the men that the way wherein we may walk, and the set their faces to go into Egypt, to sojourn thing that we may do.
there; they shall die by the sword, by the 4. Then Jeremiah the prophet said unto famine, and by the pestilence: and none them, I have heard you ; behold, I will pray of them shall remain or escape from the unto the LORD your God according to your evil that I will bring upon them. words, and it shall come to pass, that what | 18. For thus saith the LORD of hosts, soever thing the Lord shall answer you, I || the God of Israel, As mine anger and my will declare it unto you; I will keep nothing fury hath been poured forth upon the inback from you.
habitants of Jerusalem; so shall my fury 5. Then they said to Jeremiah, The LORD be poured forth upon you, when ye shall
true and faithful witness between us, if enter into Egypt: and ye shall be an exewe do not even according to all things for cration, and an astonishment, and a curse, the which the LORD thy God shall send thee and a reproach; and ye shall see this place to us.
no more. 6. Whether it be good, or whether it be 19. The Lord hath said concerning you, evil, we will obey the voice of the LORD our ye remnant of Judah, Go ye not into God, to whom we send thee; that it may be Egypt: know certainly that I have adwell with us, when we obey the voice of the monished you this day. LORD our God.
20. For ye dissembled in your hearts, 7. | And it came to pass, after ten days, when ye sent me unto the LORD your God, " that the word of the LORD came unto Jere- saying, Pray for us unto the LORD our God; miah.
and according unto all that the LORD our 8. Then called he Johanan the son of God shall say, so declare unto us, and we Kareah, and all the captains of the forces I will do it. which were with him, and all the people, || 21. And now I have this day declared it to from the least even to the greatest,
you ; but ye have not obeyed the voice of 9. And said unto them, Thus saith the the LORD your God, nor any thing for the LORD, the God of Israel, unto whom ye | which he hath sent me unto you. sent me to present your supplication before | 22. Now, therefore, know certainly that
ye shall die by the sword, by the famine, 10. If ye will still abide in this land, and by the pestilence, in the place whither then will I build you, and not pull you ye desire to go, and to sojourn. down; and I will plant you, and not pluck
CHAP. XLIII. you up: for I repent me of the evil that I | Jeremiah prophesieth the conquest of Egypt by the Babyhave done unto you.
lonians. 11. Be not afraid of the king of Babylon, 1. AND it came to pass, that when Jereof whom ye are afraid; be not afraid of him, | A miah had made an end of speaking saith the LORD: for I am with you to save unto all the people all the words of the you, and to deliver you from his hand. LORD their God, for which the LORD their
12. And I will show mercies unto you, God had sent him to them, even all these that he may have mercy upon you, and words, cause you to return to your own land. 2. Then spake Azariah the son of Ho
13. But if ye say, We will not dwell in shaiah, and Johanan the son of Kareah, and this land, neither obey the voice of the LORD | all the proud men, saying unto Jeremiah, your God,
Thou speakest falsely; the LORD our God 14. Saying, No; but we will go into the hath not sent thee to say, Go not into Egypt land of Egypt, where we shall see no war, | to sojourn there: nor hear the sound of a trumpet, nor have 3. But Baruch the son of Neriah setteth hunger of bread; and there will we dwell: thee on against us, for to deliver us into the
15. And now, therefore, hear the word hand of the Chaldeans, that they might put of the LORD, ye remnant of Judah; Thus us to death, and carry us away captives into saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Babylon. If ye wholly set your faces to enter into | 4. So Johanan the son of Kareah, and all Egypt, and go to sojourn there;
the captains of the forces, and all the people, 16. Then it shall come to pass, that the obeyed not the voice of the LORD, to dwell sword, which ye feared, shall overtake you in the land of Judah; there in the land of Egypt, and the famine, 5. But Johanan the son of Kareah, and whereof ye were afraid, shall follow close all the captains of the forces, took all the after you in Egypt; and there ye shall die. Il remnant of Judah, that were returned from
hungbear the pt, when out we wi
all nations whither they had been driven, to|| 5. But they hearkened not, nor inclined dwell in the land of Judah;
their ear to turn from their wickedness, to 6. Even men, and women, and children, burn no incense unto other gods. and the king's daughters, and every person 6. Wherefore my fury and mine anger was that Nebuzar-adan the captain of the guard poured forth, and was kindled in the cities of had left with Gedaliah the son of Ahikam, || Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem; and the son of Shaphan, and Jeremiah the pro- they are wasted and desolate, as at this day, phet, and Baruch the son of Neriah. 17. Therefore now thus saith the LORD
7. So they came into the land of Egypt: the God of hosts, the God of Israel, Where. for they obeyed not the voice of the Lord. || fore commit ye this great evil against your Thus came they even to Tahpanhes. souls, to cut off from you man and woman,
8. Then came the word of the LORD unto child and suckling, out of Judah, to leave Jeremiah in Tahpanhes, saying,
you none to remain; 9. Take great stones in thy hand, and 8. In that ye provoke me unto wrath with hide them in the clay in the brick-kiln, which the works of your hands, burning incense is at the entry of Pharaoh's house in Tah-unto other gods in the land of Egypt, whither panhes, in the sight of the men of Judah; ye be gone to dwell, that ye might cut your
10. And say unto them, Thus saith the | selves off, and that ye might be a curse and LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Behold, I a reproach among all the nations of the will send and take Nebuchadrezzar the king earth? of Babylon, my servant, and will set his 9. Have ye forgotten the wickedness of throne upon these stones that I have hid; and your fathers, and the wickedness of the kings he shall spread his royal pavilion over them. of Judah, and the wickedness of their wives,
11. And when he cometh, he shall smite and your own wickedness, and the wickedthe land of Egypt, and deliver such as are |ness of your wives, which they have comfor death, to death; and such as are for mitted in the land of Judah, and in the streets captivity, to captivity; and such as are for || of Jerusalem ? the sword, to the sword.
10. They are not humbled even unto this 12. And I will kindle a fire in the houses | day, neither have they feared, nor walked in of the gods of Egypt; and he shall burn my law, nor in my statutes, that I set before them, and carry them away captives; and you, and before your fathers. he shall array himself with the land of Egypt, 11. 1 Therefore thus saith the Lord of as a shepherd putteth on his garment; and hosts, the God of Israel, Behold, I will set he shall go forth from thence in peace. my face against you for evil, and to cut off _13. He shall break also the images of || all Judah. Beth-shemesh, that is in the land of Egypt; 12. And I will take the remnant of Judah, and the houses of the gods of the Egyptians that have set their faces to go into the land shall he burn with fire.
of Egypt to sojourn there, and they shall all CHAP. XLIV.
be consumed, and fall in the land of Egypt; Jeremiah prophesieth their destruction who commit idolatry. || they shall even be consumed by the sword 1. THE word that came to Jeremiah con and by the famine: they shall die, from the
1 cerning all the Jews which dwell in least even unto the greatest, by the sword and the land of Egypt, which dwell at Migdol, || by the famine; and they shall be an execraand at Tahpanhes, and at Noph, and in the tion, and an astonishment, and a curse, and country of Pathros, saying,
a reproach. 2. Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God 13. For I will punish them that dwell in of Israel, Ye have seen all the evil that I the land of Egypt, as I have punished Jeruhave brought upon Jerusalem, and upon all salem, by the sword, by the famine, and by the cities of Judah; and, behold, this day the pestilence: they are a desolation, and no man dwelleth 14. So that none of the remnant of Judah, therein;
which are gone into the land of Egypt to 3. Because of their wickedness which they sojourn there, shall escape or remain, that have committed, to provoke me to anger, in they should return into the land of Judah, to that they went to burn incense, and to serve the which they have a desire to return to other gods, whom they knew not, neither | dwell there; for none shall return but such they, you, nor your fathers.
as shall escape. 4. Howbeit' I sent unto you all my ser 15. I Then all the men which knew that vants the prophets, rising early and sending their wives had burnt incense unto other them, saying, 'Oh, do not this abominable gods, and all the women that stood by, a thing that I hate.
W great multitude, even all the people that
dwelt in the land of Egypt, in Pathros, an- LORD, all Judah that dwell in the land of swered Jeremiah, saying,
Egypt; Behold, I have sworn by my great 16. As for the word which thou hast name, saith the LORD, that my name shall spoken unto us in the name of the LORD, no more be named in the mouth of any man we will not bearken unto thee.
of Judah, in all the land of Egypt, saying, 17. But we will certainly do what- | The Lord God liveth. soever thing goeth forth out of our own 27. Behold, I will watch over them for mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of evil, and not for good; and all the men of heaven, and to pour out drink-offerings unto Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, consumed by the sword and by the fainine, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of | until there be an end of them. Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for 28. Yet a small number that escape the then had we plenty of victuals, and were sword shall return out of the land of Egypt well, and saw no evil.
into the land of Judah; and all the remnant 18. But since we left off to burn incense of Judah, that are gone into the land of to the queen of heaven, and to pour out Egypt to sojourn there, shall know whose drink-offerings unto her, we have wanted words shall stand, mine, or theirs. all things, and have been consumed by the 29. And this shall be a sign unto you, saith sword and by the famine.
the LORD, that I will punish you in this place, 19. And when we burnt incense to the that ye may know that my words shall surely queen of heaven, and poured out drink- || stand against you for evil: offerings unto her, did we make her cakes 30. Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will to worship her, and pour out drink-offerings give Pharaoh-hophra king of Egypt into the unto her without our men ?
hand of his enemies, and into the hand of 20. 1 Then Jeremiah said unto all the peo them that seek his life, as I gave Zedekiah ple, to the men, and to the women, and to king of Judah into the hand of Nebuchadall the people which had given him that an rezzar king of Babylon his enemy, and that swer, saying,
sought his life. 21. The incense that ye burnt in the cities
CHAP. XLV. of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, Baruch being dismayed, Jeremiah com fortelk him. ye, and your fathers, your kings, and your || 1.
1. THE word that Jeremiah the prophet
T HE word princes, and the people of the land, did not
1 spake unto Baruch the son of Nethe LORD remember them, and came it not | riah, when he had written these words in a into his mind?
book at the mouth of Jeremiah, in the fourth 22. So that the LORD could no longer year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of bear, because of the evil of your doings, and Judah, saying, because of the abominations which ye have 2. Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, committed; therefore is your land a desola- | unto thee, O Baruch: tion, and an astonishment, and a curse, 3. Thou didst say, Wo is me now! for without an inhabitant, as at this day. the Lord hath added grief to my sorrow; I
23. Because you have burnt incense, and fainted in my sighing, and I find no rest. because ye have sinned against the LORD, || 4.1 Thus shalt thou say unto h and have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, LORD saith thus; Behold, that which I have nor walked in his law, nor in his statutes, nor built will I break down, and that which I in his testimonies; therefore this evil is hap- have planted I will pluck up, even this whole pened unto you, as at this day.
land. 24. Moreover, Jeremiah said unto all the
| 5. And seekest thou great things for thypeople, and to all the women, Hear the word self ? seek them not: for, behold, I will bring of the LORD, all Judah that are in the land
evil upon all flesh, saith the LORD; but thy of Egypt;
| life will I give unto thee for a prey in all 25. Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God places whither thou ones of Israel, saying, Ye and your wives have
CHAP. XLVI. both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled | Jeremiah prophesieth the overthror of Pharaoh's army at with your hand, saying, We will surely per
Euphrates. form our vows that we have vowed, to burn 1. THE word of the LORD which came incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour 1 to Jeremiah the prophet against the out drink-offerings unto her: ye will surely Gentiles; accomplish your vows, and surely perform 2. Against Egypt, against the army of Four vows.
| Pharaoh-necho king of Egypt, which was by 26. Therefore hear ye the word of the the river Euphrates in Carchemish, which
Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon smote in | 17. They did cry there, Pharaoh king of the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Egypt is but a noise; he hath passed the time Josiah king of Judah.
appointed. 3. Order ye the buckler and shield, and 18. As I live, saith the King, whose name draw near to battle.
|| is The LORD of hosts, Surely as Tabor is 4. Harness the horses; and get up, ye | among the mountains, and as Carmel by the horsemen, and stand forth with your hel sea, so shall he come. mets; furbish the spears, and put on the 19. O thou daughter dwelling in Egypt, brigandines.
furnish thyself to go into captivity: for Noph 5. Wherefore have I seen them dismayed shall be waste and desolate without an inand turned away back ? and their mighty habitant. ones are beaten down, and are fled apace,| 20. Egypt is like a very fair heifer, but deand look not back: for fear was round | struction cometh; it cometh out of the north. about, saith the LORD.
21. Also her hired men are in the midst 6. Let not the swift flee away, nor the of her like fatted bullocks; for they also are mighty man escape; they shall stumble, and turned back, and are fled away together: fall toward the north by the river Euphrates. they did not stand, because the day of their
7. Who is this that cometh up as a flood, calamity was come upon them, and the time whose waters are moved as the rivers ? of their visitation.
8. Egypt riseth up like a flood, and his 22. The voice thereof shall go like a serwaters are moved like the rivers; and he pent; for they shall march with an army, and saith, I will go up, and will cover the earth; come against her with axes, as hewers of I will destroy the city, and the inhabitants || wood. thereof.
23. They shall cut down her forest, saith 9. Come up, ye horses; and rage, ye the LORD, though it cannot be searched; chariots; and let the mighty men come because they are more than the grasshopforth; the Ethiopians and the Libyans, that Il pers, and are innumerable, handle the shield; and the Lydians, that 24. The daughter of Egypt shall be conhandle and bend the bow.
founded; she shall be delivered into the hand 10. For this is the day of the Lord God of the people of the north. of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may | 25. The LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, avenge him of his adversaries: and the sword saith, Behold, I will punish the multitude of shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made No, and Pharaoh, and Egypt, with their drunk with their blood; for the Lord God gods, and their kings; even Pharaoh, and all of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country | them that trust in him: by the river Euphrates.
| 26. And I will deliver them into the hand 11. Go up into Gilead and take balm, 0 of those that seek their lives, and into the virgin, the daughter of Egypt: in vain shalt hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, thou use many medicines; for thou shalt not and into the hand of his servants: and afterbe cured.
wards it shall be inhabited, as in the days 12. The nations have heard of thy shame, of old, saith the LORD. and thy cry hath filled the land: for the 27. But fear not thou, O my servant Jacob, . mighty man hath stumbled against the and be not dismayed, O Israel: for, behold, mighty, and they are fallen both together. I will save thee from afar off, and thy seed
13. 1 The word that the LORD spake to || from the land of their captivity; and Jacob Jeremiah the prophet, how Nebuchadrezzar || shall return, and be in rest and at ease, and king of Babylon should come and smite the none shall make him afraid. land of Egypt,
28. Fear thou not, O Jacob my servant, 14. Declare ye in Egypt, and publish in | saith the LORD; for I am with thee: for I Migdol, and publish in Noph, and in Tah-|| will make a full end of all the nations whither panhes: say ye, Stand fast, and prepare thee;|| I have driven thee; but I will not make a for the sword shall devour round about thee. full end of thee, but correct thee in measure:
15. Why are thy valiant men swept away? || yet will I not leave thee wholly unpunished they stood not, because the LORD did drive
CHAP. XLVII. them.
The destruction of the Philistines. 16. He made many to fall, yea, one fell | 1. THE word of the LORD that came to upon another; and they said, Arise, and let 1 Jeremiah the prophet against the us go again to our own people, and to the Philistines, before that Pharaoh smote Gaza. land of our nativity, from the oppressing || 2. Thus saith the LORD, Behold, waters sword.
Il rise up out of the north, and shall be an over
of these with their shall be satiated the sword sai is the moon the north