« 前へ次へ »
11. Jesus answered, Thou couldest have || Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary no power at all against me, except it were Magdalene. given thee from above: therefore he that 26. When Jesus therefore saw his modelivered me unto thee hath the greater ther, and the disciple standing by, whom
| he loved, he saith unto his mother, Wo 12. And from thenceforth Pilate sought man, behold thy son! to release him: but the Jews cried out, | 27. Then saith he to the disciple, Behold saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not | thy mother! And from that hour that disCæsar's friend : whosoever maketh him-ciple took her unto his own home. ,' self a king speaketh against Cæsar.
23. After this, Jesus knowing that all 13. When Pilate therefore heard that things were now accomplished, that the saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat Scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. down in the judgment seat in a place that 29. Now there was set a vessel full of is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, | vinegar: and they filled a spunge with viGabbatha.
negar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it 14. And it was the preparation of the to his mouth. passover, and about the sixth hour: and he! 30. When Jesus therefore had received saith unto the Jews, Behold your king ! the vinegar, he said, It is finished : and he
15. But they cried out, Away with him, || bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. away with him ; crucify him! Pilate saith 31. The Jews therefore, because it was unto them, Shall I crucify your king ? The | the preparation, that the bodies should not chief priests answered, We have no king remain upon the cross on the sabbath-day, but Cæsar.
(for that sabbath-day was an high day,) be16. Then delivered he him therefore unto sought Pilate that their legs might be brothem to be crucified. And they took Je- || ken, and that they might be taken away. sus, and led him away.
32. Then came the soldiers, and brake 17. And he, bearing his cross, went forth | the legs of the first, and of the other which into a place, called the place of a skull, was crucified with him. which is called in the Hebrew, Golgotha : 33. But when they came to Jesus, and
18. Where they crucified him, and two || saw that he was dead already, they brake others with him, on either side one, and Je- || not his legs: sus in the midst.
34. But one of the soldiers with a spear 19. And Pilate wrote a title, and put it pierced his side, and forthwith came thereon the cross. And the writing was, JE-out blood and water. SUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING 35. And he that saw it bear record, and OF THE JEWS.
his record is true: and he knoweth that he 20. This title then read many of the saith true, that ye might believe. Jews: for the place where Jesus was cru | 36. For these things were done, that the cified was nigh to the city: and it was || Scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin. || shall not be broken.
21. Then said the Chief Priests of the | 37. And again another Scripture saith, Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of || They shall look on him whom they pierced. the Jews; but that he said, I am King of | 38. And after this, Joseph of Arimathea, the Jews.
|(being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for 22. Pilate answered, What I have writ- || fear of the Jews) besought Pilate that he ten, I have written.
might take away the body of Jesus : and 23. Then the soldiers, when they had cru- Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, cified Jesus, took his garments, and made and took the body of Jesus. four parts, to every soldier a part; and also || 39. And there came also Nicodemus, his coat: now the coat was without seam, which at the first came to Jesus by night, woven from the top throughout:
and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, 24. They said therefore among them- || about an hundred pound weight. selves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for 1 - 40. Then took they the body of Jesus, it,, whose it shall be: that the Scripture and wound it in linen clothes with the might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted || spices, as the manner of the Jews is to my raiment among them, and for my ves- | bury. ture they did cast lots. These things there- |41. Now in the place where he was crufore the soldiers did.
cified there was a garden ; and in the gar• 25. Now there stood by the cross of Je- den a new sepulchre, wherein was never sus, his mother, and his mother's sister, I) man yet laid.
“ Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself and saith unto him, Rabboni ; which is
to say, Master."-ST. JOHN, char. XX. VER. 16.
42. There laid they Jesus therefore, be- || turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabcause of the Jews' preparation-day, for the || boni ; which is to say, Master. sepulchre was nigh at handelt
17. Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; CHAP. XX.
for 1 am not yet ascended to my Father: 1 Mary cometh to the sepulchre: 11 she seeth two angels ; ]
but go to my brethren, and say unto them, Jesus himself appeareth to her. 24 The incredulity of || 1 ascend unto my Father, and your FaThomas.
ther; and to my God, and your God. 1. THE first day of the week cometh 18. Mary Magdalene came and told the
1 Mary Magdalene early, when it disciples that she had seen the Lord, and was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and that he had spoken these things unto her. seeth the stone taken away from the se- 19. Then the same day at evening, being pulchre.
the first day of the week, when the doors 2. Then she runneth, and cometh to Si- || were shut where the disciples were assemmon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom || bled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus,and Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They stood in the midst, and saith unto them, have taken away the Lord out of the se | Peace be unto you. pulchre, and we know not where they have 20. And when he had so said, he shewed laid him.
unto them his hands and his side. Then 3. Peter therefore went forth, and that were the disciples glad, when they saw the other disciple, and came to the sepulchre. Lord.
4. So they ran both together : and the 21. Then said Jesus to them again, other disciple did outrun Peter, and came Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent first to the sepulchre.
me, even so send I you. 5. And he, stooping down, and looking 22. And when he had said this, he in, saw the linen clothes lying ; yet went breathed on them, and saith unto them, Re he not in.
ceive ye the Holy Ghost : 6. Then cometh Simon Peter following | 23. Whose soever sins ye remit, they are him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth remitted unto them ; and whose soever sins the linen clothes lie;
ye retain, they are retained. 7. And the napkin, that was about his 24. But Thomas, one of the twelve, callhead, not lying with the linen clothes, but | ed Didymus, was not with them when Jewrapped together in a place by itself. I sus came.
8. Then went in also that other disciple, 25. The other disciples therefore said which came first to the sepulchre, and he unto him, We have seen the Lord. But saw, and believed.
he said unto them, Except I shall see in 9. For as yet they knew not the Scrip- || his hands the print of the nails, and put my ture, that he must rise again from the dead. || finger into the print of the nails, and thrust
10. Then the disciples went away again my hand into his side, I will not believe. unto their own home.
26. And after eight days again his disci11. But Mary stood without at the se- ples were within, and Thomas with them: pulchre weeping: and as she wept, she then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stooped down, and looked into the sepul- stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto chre,
you. 12. And seeth two angels in white, sitting, | 27. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach the one at the head, and the other at the | hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my
13. And they say unto her, Woman, why side: and be not faithless, but believiug. weepest thou? She saith unto them, Be. | 28. And Thomas answered and said cause they have taken away my Lord, and unto him, My Lord and my God. I know not where they have laid bim. 29. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, be
14. And when she had thus said, she cause thou hast seen me, thou hast believturned herself back, and saw Jesus stand || ed: blessed are they that have not seen, ing, and knew not that it was Jesus. and yet have believed.
15. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why I 30. And many other signs truly did Jeweepest thou ? whom seekest thou ? She, I sus in the presence of his disciples, which supposing him to be the gardener, saith || are not written in this book : unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him | 31. But these are written, that ye might hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son and I will take him away.
of God; and that believing ye might have 16. Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She Il life through his name.
|| shewed himself to his disciples, after that 1 Christ appeareth to his disciples: 15 his charge to Pel he was risen from the dead. ter, and foretellelh his death.
15. So when they had dined, Jesus saith 1. AFTER these things Jesus shewed to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lo
I himself again to the disciples at the vest thou me more than these? He saith sea of Tiberias; and on this wise shewed unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I he himself.
I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my 2. There were together Simon Peter, lambs. and Thomas called Didymus, and Na. 16. He saith to him again the second thanael of Cana in Galilee, and the sons of time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Zebedee, and two other of his disciples. He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou know
3. Simon Peter saith unto them, I go aest that I love thee. He saith unto him, fishing. They say unto him, We also go Feed my sheep. with thee. They went forth, and entered 17. He saith unto him the third time, into a ship immediately; and that night Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me! Pe they caught nothing.
ter was grieved because he said unto him 4. But when the morning was now | the third time, Lovest thou me? And be come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all disciples knew not that it was Jesus. things; thou knowest that I love thee. Je
5. Then Jesus saith unto them, Chil | sus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. dren, have ye any meat ? They answered 18. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When him, No.
thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and 6. And he said unto them, Cast the net | walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when on the right side of the ship, and ye shall thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth find. They cast therefore, and now they thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and were not able to draw it for the multitude carry thee whither thou wouldest not. of fishes.
19. This spake he, signifying by what 7. Therefore that disciple whom Jesus death he should glorify God. And when loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Now when Simon Peter heard that it was Follow me. the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, il 20. Then Peter, turning about, seeth the (for he was naked,) and did cast himsell | disciple whom Jesus loved following into the sea.
which also leaned on his breast at supper 8. And the other disciples came in a and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth little ship, (for they were not far from thee ? land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) || 21. Peter seeing him, saith to Jesus, dragging the net with fishes.
| Lord, and what shall this man do? 9. As soon then as they were come to l 22. Jesus saith unto him, If I will that land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish he tarry till I come, what is that to thee! laid thereon, and bread.
follow thou me. 10. Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the li 23. Then went this saying abroad among fish which ye have now caught.
the brethren, that that disciple should not 11. Simon Peter went up, and drew the die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall net to land full of great fishes, an hundred not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I and fifty and three : and for all there were come, what is that to thee? so many, yet was not the net broken.
24. This is the disciple which testifieth 12. Jesus saith unto them, Come and of these things, and wrote these things: and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask | we know that his testimony is true. him, Who art thou ? knowing that it was 25. And there are also many other things the Lord.
which Jesus did, the which, if they should 13. Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, || be written every one, I suppose that even and giveth them, and fish likewise.
the world itself could not contain the books 14. This is now the third time that Jesus ll that should be written. Amen.
4 The ACTS of the Apostles. CHAP. I.
|| 1. T HE former treatise have I made, O 1 A repetition of part of Christ's history after his pas
| 1 Theophilus, of all that Jesus besion : 9 his ascension. 15 Peler's exhortation to ordain one in place of Judas,
ilgan both to do and teach,