himself; and because he was a son, “God sent forth the Spirit of his Son into” his “heart, crying, Abba, Father :” so that “the love of God was shed abroad in his heart by the Holy Ghost which was given unto him.” Having given himself unto God, he felt that both duty and interest required that he should give himself to the church, according to the will of God. He joined the Wesleyan society, and became a very decided and consistent member; and so persevered to his life's end.

Soon after he obtained “a knowledge of salvation by the remission of sins," he saw it his privilege to be “ cleansed from all unrighteousness," fully renewed in the spirit of his mind, and perfected in love. In order to obtain this promised blessing, he “followed hard after God,” “panted after him as the hart panteth after the water-brooks," and “hungered and thirsted after righteousness.” In this stage of his experience I cannot do better than introduce a few extracts from his diary.

On Sunday, June 30th, 1832, he writes : “I do not yet feel that my heart is cleansed from the carnal mind. O Lord, cleanse me from all sin, and give me both will and power to devote myself, body, soul, and spirit, to thyself alone! O wash my robes, and make them white ! Amen. Thou, Lord, knowest I want to have a clean heart : for the sake of Jesus Christ, give me one. My heart is proud and impure; but, glory be to God, I have a confidence that the blood of Jesus Christ his Son will cleanse me from all sin ! I am endeavouring to hasten to his appearance. I feel that I do love God, and my soul longeth to love him more. O Lord, fulfil all


desire ! Give me the true faith that works by love, and purifies the heart. Work in me a death to every sin, both in heart and life,—of omission and commis a sion; and let me live to thy glory alone. I give myself into thy hands, O Lord. Save me! Amen and amen.

“Since I last wrote, the goodness of God has been great to me. have sometimes felt great power in prayer. One night I thought I should have found the blessing I so earnestly desire. But O my wandering and unfaithfulness! O God, give me a clean heart! I pray for it; but I know that my prayers will not merit it: I must believe for it. 'Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief. I want to have it in thy own way, and for thy glory : Lord, help me. From whence does this doubting proceed? Why do I find pride arising, with backwardness to prayer? O Lord, still help me to press towards it! Thou, Lord, knowest what I want. If the Lord were to say to me, this night, as he, in effect, said to Solomon, Ask what thou wilt, and I will give it thee;' my answer is ready,— I have many wants, but perfect love stands first. Lord, teach, and save me. Amen.”

I might proceed with extracts from his diary, to the same effect, to very considerable length; but these will show the general state of his mind.

On Monday, July 22d, 1832, he went to the opening of a Wesleyan chapel in Doncaster; was greatly instructed and profited by the sermons, services, and pious conversations of the day; and on returning home at night, along with a pious friend, he obtained the richer baptism of the Spirit which he so earnestly sought. He thus writes: “On my journey home it pleased God to give me the blessing I have long been seeking. Glory, glory be to God! Lord, keep me steadfast to the end. I bless the Lord, that he gives me satisfaction that I have this blessing: and I here, this night, promise, on my knees, that, if he will keep me in the enjoyment of it, I will, by his grace, whenever he calls me to it, declare it to the praise of the glory of his almighty grace."

From the time of his conversion he had an ardent thirst for knowledge ; but the spheres in which he moved, for a length of time, furnished him with but few opportunities. About this time he read, with very great profit, the Life of the Rev. John Fletcher; Mrs. Fletcher's Life; and the Life of Mrs. Rogers ; with Baxter's “Saints' everlasting Rest;" and some other works, which particularly treat on Christian experience. He states, in his journal, that he made it his determined practice, never to go from home without a book in his pocket. He was one of the principal means of commencing a public library in the village where he resided. He was likewise Secretary to the Tract Society, and Superintendent of the Sunday-school.

In 1833 he resided in the Retford Circuit, where he was appointed a Class-Leader and a Local Preacher. In the discharge of the duties connected with these important offices in the church, he felt his own insufficiency, and considered that nothing was done to purpose, unless souls were awakened, or converted, or the people of God built up in their most holy faith. There are several instances recorded in his journal, with becoming humility, in which he had every reason to believe that, under his preaching, the Almighty truly awakened, and savingly converted, a number of souls. And yet, after he has had fruit of his labour, he expresses a jealousy over the threefold foe, lest, “having preached to others, himself should become a castaway."

The following particulars are entered in his diary, as rules for the division of his time. He determined not to spend more than six hours in bed; to rise at five o'clock in the morning ; from five to six o'clock, to pray, meditate, and search the holy Scriptures; to be diligent in his calling all the day, watching against spending one idle moment; to devote one hour at noon, when practicable, to reading and prayer ; to finish the duties of his calling by six in the evening; to spend half an hour afterwards in writing on some subject in short-hand, and a second half hour in meditation and prayer; and, if there should be no public prayer-meeting, to spend one hour in these duties, and read and study afterwards. If there should be any meeting, he would attend it, come home at its close, and take care not to talk away the good he

I have sus

had received, nor omit other duties. He resolved to have family prayer as early as possible; and, before eleven o'clock, to attend to selfexamination. He then wrote in his diary, read the Scriptures, and prayed before retiring to rest. It was in this manner he divided and improved his precious time, from month to month: he sought that with him no moment should linger unemployed or unimproved. He likewise generally fasted twice a week, from tea-time till the next day at dinner-time.

A few miscellaneous extracts from his diary will illustrate his ordinary feelings and state.

“I this morning felt condemned for making a rash resolution. I was this afternoon at a sale, where I spent more time than was necessary, as I had but little to do there; and I thought, before I went, that I would not stay so long : it has brought a deadness upon my soul. At class-meeting, this evening, I felt the Lord to visit my soul ; but, instead of coming directly home after the class, I remained a length of time, and talked about other things, which brought upon me much dulness.” “I lay in bed half an hour too long this morning ; for which I went without my breakfast.” “I have spent about two hours in prayer to-day.” “ This has been one of my worst days: I have spent this evening uselessly, and it is gone for ever. tained great loss.” “I slept last night at an inn; spent one hour in prayer in the morning; but had many wandering thoughts. I hate to be in the company of the wicked ; and that for two reasons: first, because I hate their filthy conversation; and, secondly, (to my shame be it spoken,) I do not like to take up my cross, in reproving them for their sins.” “I have this day finished reading, a second time, the Life of J. S.; but I am convinced, that were I to read all the books in the world, except I also attended to much prayer, it would do me no good. My principal business is with Himself. I desire to spend every moment of my time to some useful purpose." “ This evening I went to visit D. W. He appears to be in the last stage of a consumption; but I trust the Lord is preparing him for glory. O that I may be prepared when I am called hence !” “I have this day been wonderfully preserved : for, while riding, my horse fell, and threw me; but my feet were disentangled, and I was not at all hurt. Praise the Lord for his goodness !” “I have not been so diligent as I ought. I have spent but one hour in private prayer all this day; but my language still is, “ Thy face, Lord, will I seek.'” “I fasted until noon, and spent between three and four hours in prayer.” “Of late, my soul has greatly loved the means of grace : I have felt my heart to overflow while thinking of them.” “ Afflictions of body bear down my spirits.” “I had this day, in the Sunday-school, a bad boy to correct. I kneeled down and prayed with him, when his spirit was greatly broken down, and he wept abundantly. I find this one of the best ways of treating some children.” “O may all the knowledge that

I acquire be turned to some practical use, and may I be a practical Christian !”

Having a strong desire to improve himself, and enter into a different sphere of life, he removed to London, in April, 1836. Being recommended by the Superintendent of the Retford Circuit, he was admitted into the British and Foreign Normal School, Borough-road, London, where he remained upwards of three months. While training at Borough-road, he conducted himself so as to afford full satisfaction to the Managers of the institution.

About this time he began to have serious thoughts of giving himself wholly to the work of the Christian ministry, and of offering himself as a Missionary to the Heathen. Circumstances, however, afterwards occurred, which induced him to relinquish the idea. He continued his labours in London as a Local Preacher, and Leader of two classes. He then determined to devote all his energies to the instruction of the rising generation. About this time a vacancy occurred in a school, of about three hundred boys, in the Norwood Orphan Asylum, about eight miles from London. The situation was a very difficult one; but such were the qualifications and recommendations of Mr. Barrowcliff, that he succeeded in obtaining this important charge.

Being married, in December, 1836, he, with very great credit to himself, left this institution, in order to obtain a place more suitable for a married man. Recommendatory letters were given him, by which he obtained a good school in London. He entered upon his new situation in the metropolis in January, 1837, in the fear of the Lord; and under his judicious care the schools prospered. While in London, his labours were indeed abundant: he had more than ordinary zeal, and was universally beloved; but most by those who knew him best. His constitution was not robust; and the confinement of the schools, in the heart of London, especially in the summer season, greatly affected his health. This was the only circumstance which induced him, at the time, to entertain any thoughts of leaving London, and of coming into the country.

When arrangements were made, in the town of Warrington, for the commencement of Wesleyan day-schools, a correspondence was commenced with the Rev. Samuel Jackson, of London, as the Secretary of the Wesleyan Committee of Education, for the purpose of ascertaining whether he knew of a suitable person to be employed as Teacher. He at once recommended Mr. Barrowcliff. The testimony which he then gave of him, as a man, a Christian, a Wesleyan, and a teacher of youth, was such as led to his immediate engagement. The schools succeeded beyond the most sanguine expectations of their best friends; and the conduct of the Master secured universal approbation.

He continued his usual course of labours till within about four days of his death. On Saturday, October 19th, he visited several friends in the town, and expressed his lively interest in the services of the Cen

of his age.

tenary celebration of Wesleyan Methodism, which were then contemplated IIe said, that he was not very well, and retired to rest at his usual hour, little aware of what awaited him. About three o'clock on Sunday morning, October 20th, he was seized with a fit of shivering, issuing in severe fever and inflammation. This was followed by an attack on the brain, and erysipelas. In the afternoon he became quite delirious; and continued so, with few intervals, till he died. But even in delirium his mind continually adverted to what was good. Not long before he died, lifting up his eyes and smiling, he said,

Abraham, -Isaac,—Jacob.” And being asked, by his disconsolate wife, how he was, he said, with a delightful expression of countenance, “I am happy : how art thou ?” Soon after two o'clock in the afternoon of Wednesday, October 23d, 1839, he ceased to suffer, and entered into the blessedness prepared by divine mercy for them who “ die in the Lord ;” being in the thirtieth year

The last entry he made in his journal is striking, when considered in connexion with his sudden removal. It is brief and abrupt, but very pointed. “I have heard from home to-night ;-uncle ill ;—not likely to recover. How soon we sicken, and how soon we die! Lord, prepare me, both for sickness and death.”

The Committee of the Warrington school have entered in their Minute-book the following Resolutions, referring to Mr. Barrowcliff, and his unexpected death :-“Resolved, I. The Committee are deeply impressed with the mournful circumstance of the death of the late Master, Mr. Charles Barrowcliff, and bow with humility before God in acknowledgment of his sovereignty as the Arbiter of life and death. II. That the services of Mr. Barrowcliff, from the opening of the schools, to the time of his mortal affliction ; his diligent attention to the onerous duties of his office; and his truly Christian character ; have in no small degree contributed to the prosperity and growth of the institution: and the Committee cordially reiterate the language to them of the Rev. Samuel Jackson, "We have all sustained a great loss, as he was a very good man, and a valuable teacher; and had he been spared, gave promise of being increasingly so for many years to come.'

Of Barmingham, near Greta-Bridge, Yorkshire:

BY THE REV. WILLIAM JESSOP. MR. WILLIAM TODD, the subject of this memoir, was born at Brignall, near Greta-Bridge, in Yorkshire, on the 25th of December, 1754. His parents, though not decidedly religious, were honourable in their dealings, and enjoyed a well-earned reputation. They had four sons and four daughters, who were taught to honour their parents, and to

« 前へ次へ »