pearance of this reinforcement, the enemy seemed to have lost all hopes of success. After keeping up a brisk fire of shot and shells during the whole night, they were seen at day-break, moving off with great expedition, leaving several pieces of cannon, mortars, and ammunition. This sudden retreat occasioned great disappointment to many young soldiers of the light infantry, and the Highlanders, who, having but very lately arrived in the seat of war, were thus disappointed of an opportunity of facing the enemy, when eager to make their debut under such men as Generals Sir Charles Grey and Thomas Dundas. Had the enemy waited another day, this opportunity would have been afforded, as it was resolved that General Dundas should attack the trenches; and, with the ardour of this gallant leader, and the spirit which animated the troops, there would have been little doubt of success. The loss of the garrison was inconsiderable; Lieutenant Latham, * 1 serjeant, and 2 privates, were killed; and Captain Ronald Ferguson, 1 serjeant, and 33 privates, wounded. Of this number the Highlanders had 1 serjeant and I private killed, and 2 privates wounded.

After the retreat of the enemy, the detachment marched back to Ostend, reimbarked for England, and arrived at Portsmouth, where the destination of the regiment was changed from an expedition to the West Indies, to another then forming against the coast of France, under command of the Earl of Moira.

At this time the command of the regiment devolved on Major Dalrymple, Colonel Graham, who had held the

■ The fate of Lieutenant Latham of the 53d deserves to he noticed as a warning to young officers. He was on the advanced picquet, which was protected by a small entrenchment, three feet in height. He was strictly enjoined not to show his men, as the enemy's sharpshooters were all around, picking off every man who appeared. But, in his eagerness to observe the motions of the enemy, he looked over the low parapet, forgetting a cocked hat half a foot higher than his head. An enemy took such correct aim at the hat, that he sent his ball through Mr Latham's forehead, and killed him on the spot.

command since the year 1781, being appointed to the command of a brigade. On the 30th of November, the expedition sailed in three brigades; the Highlanders being in the first, commanded by Brigadier-General Lord Cathcart. On the 1st of December, they reached the Coast of France, to the eastward of Cape La Hogue, and after cruising about for two days, put into Guernsey, where part of the troops landed, and remained till the 4th of January 1794, when the whole returned to Portsmouth. On the 21st the Highlanders were marched to Lymington, being still under the command of Lord Cathcart.

In this situation they remained till the 5th of June, when an encampment was formed at Netly, in Hampshire, under the Earl of Moira. On the 18th, the camp broke up, and the troops embarked on board the transports for Flanders.

During the preceding spring, France had made prodigious preparations, having raised a force of more than 200,000 men, provided with every necessary accompaniment of artillery and stores; the whole to be employed in Flanders. This, with the partial defection of Prussia, after having accepted the British subsidies, placed the allied armies in a very critical situation, particularly that small part under the command of the Duke of York. The French Convention sent into Flanders their ablest generals, Pichegru, Moreau, and Jourdan, who, exasperated by their defeats at Cambray, Landrecy, Cateau, and Tournay, determined to bring forward the utmost extent of force that they could command. In consequence of these preparations, the original destination of the force under the Earl of Moira was changed to this great theatre of the war, and again sailed, on the 22d, for Ostend, and landed there on the 26th of June. The amount of this reinforcement was 7000 men, and consisted of the following corps, 19th, 27th, 28th, 40th, Royal Highlanders, 54th, 57th, 59th, 87th, and 88th regiments.

Lord Moira had now to decide on his future movements, whether he should remain in Ostend, and sustain a siege from an enemy who had already occupied Ypres and Thoureut, and were ready to advance upon him, or force a march through the enemy, and join the Duke of York. To sustain a siege in Ostend, would have occupied a considerable portion of the enemy's troops, but it would have deprived his Royal Highness of a very necessary reinforcement, when opposed to so numerous a host as was now ready to attack him. It was, therefore, determined to march forward, and to embark all the stores from Ostend, along with the troops left to garrison the place. Both services were conducted with address and precision. The evacuation and embarkation were entrusted to Colonel Vyse, who had just embarked the last division, as the first of the enemy entered the town. The troops were stationed on the sand hills in the neighbourhood, and were ordered under arms in light marching order, the officers leaving all baggage behind, except what they carried on their backs. They moved off the ground on the evening of the 28th, and halting ten miles beyond the town, proceeded at midnight towards Ostaker, and reached Alost on the 3d of July. While in this place, about 400 of the enemy's cavalry dashed into the town, and, being mistaken for Hessians, were allowed to push forward unmolested to the market-place. Colonel Doyle, who rode up to them, was wounded by a cut of a sabre, before the mistake was discovered. However, they were soon driven back by the 8th light dragoons and the picquets. *

On the 9th the troops marched by Warloo's camp, and joined the Duke of York's army at Malines. This was a fatiguing march, but it had been so well conducted, that the enemy, although in very superior numbers, under General Vandamme, did not venture upon any attack except this dash into Alost. A succession of petty skirmishes occurred until the 20th, when Lord Moira resigned his command, and was succeeded by Lieutenant-General Ralph Abercromby. The brigades of the army were changed on the 31st of August, and the third brigade, in which were the Highlanders, with the Guards, formed the reserve under the command of Lieutenant-General Abercromby. The enemy having obtained possession of Boxtel on the 14th of September, General Abercromby, with the reserve, was ordered to force them from this position. The third brigade, now under the command of the Honourable Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Wellesley of the 33d regiment, marched at four in the morning of the 15th, and joined the brigade of Guards. When they approached Boxtel, the enemy were discovered to be in too great force to be attacked with any prospect of success. Various movements took place till the 6th of October, when the army crossed the Waal at Nimeguen. In this position, there were several smart engagements till the morning of the 20th, when the enemy made a general attack on all the advanced posts of the army. The whole were defended, and the enemy repulsed with great gallantry; but the 37th regiment, mistaking a party of the enemy for Rhoan's hussars, allowed them to advance too close. In consequence of this mistake, that gallant regiment sustained a severe loss in officers and men. • On the 27th and 28th, the enemy renewed their attacks on the outposts. In that on Fort St Andre, Lieutenant-General Abercromby was wounded. By a continuation of this system of incessant attack, the outposts were all driven in, and the enemy, having established themselves in front of Nimeguen, began to erect batteries,

* A Highlander passing through the market-place with a basket on his head as the enemy rushed in, one of them made a cut at the hand which held the basket, and wounded him severely. However, he drew his bayonet with the other hand, and attacked the horseman, who made ofT. Macdonald carried home his basket, murmuring, as he went along, that he had not a broadsword.

* The enemy, on many occasions, took advantage of the variety of uniforms in the British army, and frequently dressed parties in a similar manner for the purpose of deceiving our troops—an artifice which sometimes succeeded.

preparatory to a siege of the place. It was therefore resolved to attempt the destruction of these works, and, on the 4th of November, the Hon. Lieutenant-General De Burgh, with the 8th, 27th, 28th, 55th, 63d, and 78th Highland regiment, supported by two battalions of Swiss in the Dutch service, and some regiments of dragoons, was ordered on this duty. The works were carried with all the gallantry to be expected from such troops. The enemy made a brave defence. The loss of the British was 1 serjeant, and 31 rank and file, killed, and 1 field officer, 5 captains, 5 subalterns, 10 serjeants, and 149 rank and file, wounded. As the enemy quickly repaired their batteries, and continued their approaches with fresh vigour, it was found necessary to evacuate the town.

After this evacuation, which took place on the 7th, the army was cantoned along the banks of the river, where they began to suffer much from the severity of the weather, and the want of necessaries, as the clothing for the year had not been received. So intense was the frost, that the enemy were enabled to cross the Waal on the ice, and, by availing themselves of their superior numbers, to commence active operations. As they threatened the towns of Culenberg and Gorcum, it was determined to compel them to repass the Waal. About 8000 British, among whom was the third brigade, marched against them on the 13th of December. The French were posted at Thuyl, the road to which was flanked by batteries planted in the Isle of Bommell, the place itself being surrounded with entrenchments. These obstacles were surmounted, and, notwithstanding their great superiority of numbers, the French were forced from all their posts, and obliged to re-cross the Waal, with the loss of a considerable number of men, and several pieces of cannon. The loss of the British was comparatively trifling, being only 1 field officer, and 5 rank and file, killed, 1 drummer, and 18 rank and file wounded.

The enemy having again crossed the Waal on the 4th of January 1795, and taken Thuyl, General Walmoden sent

« 前へ次へ »