and advanced to the cathedral, where Vivien, seated on the episcopal throne, was going through all the ceremonies and acts that he had been ordered to do in the name of Jean Chevrot, in taking possession of the bishopric. The populace no sooner witnessed what he was about than they rudely pushed him from the throne, and tore his surplice and other parts of his dress. Many, in their rage, would have put him to death if the officers of justice had not laid hands on him and carried him off as their prisoner, giving the crowd to understand that he should be judicially punished to their satisfaction.

Insuanection of Tournay—View looking towards the Cathedral. From an original drawing.

John de Harcourt, on whose account this riot had been raised, restrained them as much as he could by gentle remonstrances, and begging of them to return to their houses, for that all would end well, and he would legally keep possession of his bishopric ; after some little time the commonalty retired, and the magistrates and principal inhabitants made the best excuses they could to the count d'Estampes for this riot, for they were afraid they should fare the worse for it in times to come. The count d'Estampes, finding nothing effectual could be done, departed, and returned to the duke of Burgundy at Arras, and told him all that had passed in Tournay. He was much vexed thereat, and issued stricter orders than before to distress the town, so that from this quarrel respecting the two bishops very many persons suffered great tribulations. Even after the peace was concluded between king Charles and the duke of Burgundy, the king was much displeased at the conduct of the duke respecting Tournay, and was desirous of supporting the claim of John de Harcourt.

John de Harcourt perceiving that the duke was obstinately bent on having Jean de Chevrot bishop of Tournay, and that he should not be allowed to enjoy peaceably the revenues of the bishopric, and that withal his lands in Hainault had been seized on and confiscated by the duke, departed from Tournay, and went with a few attendants to the


king, who gave him a most gracious reception, and he then continued his journey to his archbishopric of Narbonne. Thus did Jean de Chevrot gain the bishopric of Tournay, who sent thither, to take possession, a canon of Cambray named master Robert d’Auclair. He was at this time very courteously received there, and obeyed as his procurator.


About this time, ambassadors were sent from the three estates of the duchy and county of Burgundy to the duke, to remonstrate with him on the great damages the partisans of king Charles were doing to his country by fire and sword, more especially his brother-in-law the duke of Bourbon. They told him, that they had already taken by force many towns and castles, and were daily making further inroads into the country, which must be totally destroyed unless a speedy remedy was applied. They concluded by requesting most humbly that he would, out of his grace, raise a sufficient body of men, and that he would personally march to their assistance. The duke, having heard their harangue, assembled his council, and then determined to collect men-at-arms from all his dependencies in Brabant, Flanders, Artois, Hainault, and other parts. Clerks were instantly employed to write letters to the different lords, knights, and esquires, who had usually served him in his wars, to assemble as many men-at-arms and archers as they could raise, and be ready to march with him at the beginning of the month of May, whither he might be pleased to lead them. The captains, on receiving these orders from their prince, made every diligence to obey them; and several soon brought their men into the field, which harassed much the countries of Picardy, Ponthieu, Artois, Tournesis, Ostrevant, Cambresis, Vermandois, and the adjoining parts, for the duke had not been equally diligent in completing his preparations, so that these men remained wasting the countries aforesaid for upwards of a month. At the end of May, the duke having assembled, from divers parts, a great quantity of carriages, stores, and artillery, set out from the town of Arras on the 20th day of June, attended by many of his captains. He was also accompanied by his duchess, who had a numerous attendance of ladies and damsels, to the amount of more than forty; and they were lodged in Cambray, where sir John de Luxembourg met him, and requested that he would come to his castle of Bohain, to which the duke assented. On the morrow, when the duke and duchess had heard mass in the church of our Lady at Cambray, and afterward taken some refreshment, they set out for the castle of Bohain, where they were joyfully and honourably received by sir John de Luxembourg, count de Ligny, and the countess his lady. They and their attendants were plentifully and nobly served with all sorts of provisions that were in season: and they remained there for two days, taking their pleasures in the chase and other amusements. In the mean time, the captains and men-at-arms advanced into the Rethelois. The duke and duchess, on leaving Bohain, went to Peronne, and thence through Champagne, passing near to Rheims. There were with him full six thousand combatants, as well men-at-arms as archers, the principal leaders of whom were the lord de Croy, sir John de Croy, his brother, sir John de Hornes, seneschal of Brabant, the lord de Crequi and his brother, sir John bastard de St. Pol, his brother Louis, the lord de Humieres, sir Baudo de Noyelle, the lord de Crevecoeur, Robert de Neufville, Lancelot de Dours, Harpin de Richammes, and many other nobles, as well knights as esquires. When the duke marched through Champagne, he formed his troops into a van-guard, a main body, and a rear-guard. Sir John de Croy commanded the first under his brother, and he had with him Harpin de Richammes. During the march, all the baggage was placed between the van and main body; and the duchess, then far gone with child, was there also, with her women, and near to the duke. The army marched in this array before the town of Troyes, that was held by the French, and advanced to Cappes on the line to Burgundy. Many of the Burgundian lords now joined him, to whom he gave a gracious reception,-and having called a council of war, resolved on their future proceedings. It was settled that the duchess should fix her residence with her attendants at Châtillon-sur-Seine, while the duke marched to lay siege to Mussil'Evêque, in the possession of the French. Great preparations were made, and many pieces of artillery were pointed against the gates and walls. The garrison once intended making an obstinate defence; but when they saw how numerous and well-appointed were the duke's forces, and found they had no hope of succour, after eight days' siege, they capitulated to surrender the place, on having their lives and fortunes spared. On the conclusion of this treaty, they marched away under the duke's passports for St. Florentin. When the duke had appointed a new garrison, he went to the duchess at Châtillon, and his men-at-arms advanced toward the county of Tonnerre.


WHEN the duke of Burgundy had sojourned some days at Châtillon, he ordered the duchess to go to Dijon, where she was most honourably received, and he himself went after his army. He had Lussigines and Passy besieged; and the first was so hard pressed that the garrison surrendered on having their lives spared, but giving up their effects. Those of Passy also gave hostages to surrender on the first day of September following, unless the duke and his army should be fought withal and beaten by his adversaries before that time.

Many other castles and forts held by the French, who were much alarmed at the great power of the duke of Burgundy, were yielded up to him; namely, Danlermoine, Herny, Coursaint, Scealesloug, Maligny, Saint Phalle, Sicry, Sabelly, and others, to the amount of twenty-four. After these surrenders, the duke went to Dijon, and his captains and menat-arms were quartered over the country. Sir John de Croy was the commander-in-chief at all these sieges of places that submitted to the obedience of the duke of Burgundy.


IN this year a gentleman of Hainault was accused of treason against the duke of Burgundy. His name was Gilles de Postelles, who had been brought up as a dependant on the dowagercountess of Hainault, aunt to the said duke. He was charged with having practised with divers of the nobles of that country to put the duke to death by shooting him with an arrow, or by some other means, while hunting in the forest, whither he would accompany him. For this cause, he was arrested in the mansion of the countess, at Quesnoy, by sir William de Lalain", bailiff of Hainault. When he had been strictly examined and tortured, he was beheaded and quartered in the market-place of Mons, and his quarters were sent to be placed in the four principal towns of that country. One of his servants was beheaded with him; but John de Vendeges, to whom he had discovered his plot, fled the country, and afterward, by means of different excuses, and through the interest of his friends, was pardoned by the duke. The countess of Hainault was strongly suspected of being implicated in this affair, but nothing was clearly proved against her.

* Of this family, (“a family,” says Comines, “ of great mentioned. He died in 1444. Sansay, the second son

and brave men, who for the most part found their deaths in fighting for their native princes,”) was Otho lord de Lalain, who died in 1441, at the advanced age of 108 years. His eldest son William, who succeeded him in his honours, and was bailiff of Hainault and Holland, is the person here

of Otho, married the heiress of the family of Robesarte; and Simon, the third son, has been already mentioned, unless that be another Simon, the first-cousin of Otho. See ante, p. 585. .

[ocr errors]


WHILE these things were passing, a party of king Charles's adherents won by scalado, at day-break, the town of Crespy in the Valois from the English. The bastard de Thian was governor; and he, with part of the garrison, and the inhabitants were made prisoners: innumerable mischiefs were done to the town, for the French treated it in their usual manner to a conquered place.

On the eve of the feast of the Ascension, in this year, the commonalty of Ghent rebelled against the duke's officers and the magistrates. But the principal sheriff posted himself with the banner of the counts of Flanders in the market-place well accompanied, before the rebels had time to collect together, who, perceiving that they could not now carry their intentions into effect, fled from the town; some of them, however, were taken, and punished by the magistrates of Ghent.

In these days the town of Bruyeres, in the Laonnois, was won from king Charles by sir John de Luxembourg's men, commanded by Villemet de Hainau, governor of Montagu. This capture caused great alarm in the adjoining places, for they expected a strong garrison would be posted therein to attack them ; and they, consequently, reinforced themselves as much as they could, to be enabled to resist them.


WHEN the first day of September was come, the duke of Burgundy (having previously sent his orders to all those who had been accustomed to serve under him) made his appearance before Passy according to the terms of the capitulation. He was there joined, by orders of king Henry, by the lord de l'Isle-Adam marshal of France, and sir John Talbot *, with sixteen hundred combatants. The duke received them joyfully, and made very handsome presents to these lords and to their men. The French, however, did not appear; and the garrison, in consequence, surrendered the place to the duke of Burgundy, and marched away under his passports.

The duke then sent a detachment to surround Avalon, of which was captain one called Fort Espice, having under him two hundred men-at-arms, the flower of the army, and renowned in war. They made an obstinate defence. The principal Burgundian lords among the besiegers were, the lord de Charny, Philibert de Vaudray, and others, from Picardy were, sir John bastard de St. Pol, the lord de Humieres, and many noblemen, who advanced with great courage, and encamped near to the ditches. Several engines were pointed against the gates and walls, and damaged them greatly, breaches being made in divers parts.

The besiegers now thought to take the place by storm, and made a vigorous attack, but were gallantly repulsed. However, the garrison, foreseeing that they could not hold out longer, and having no hopes of succour, they fled by night in much disorder, through a postern that had been neglected by the enemy. Their flight was soon known, and the Burgundians lost no time in arming and pursuing them, so that falling courageously upon them, they took and slew many. Fort Espice and some others saved themselves by flight. The town was now suddenly attacked, and won without resistance. The wife of Fort Espice was made prisoner, with many of his men and some peasants, and everything that was found in the place was plundered and carried away.

* This is the great Talbot, created earl of Shrewsbury in 1442.


In the month of July of this year, Pierre de Luxembourg count de Saint Pol, accompanied by lord Willoughby," an Englishman, and twelve hundred combatants of the two nations, laid siege to the town of Saint Valery; in which were, on the part of king Charles, sir Louis de Vaucourt, Philip de la Tour, and sir Regnault de Versailles, with a garrison of three hundred men. They pointed artillery against the walls and gates; and after the siege had lasted for three weeks, the before-named knights entered into treaty with Robert de Saveuses, who had been commissioned by the count de St. Pol for the purpose, and agreed that they would surrender the place at a fixed day, should they not be relieved before then, on receiving a sum of money, and liberty to depart in safety with their prisoners and baggage. As no one appeared to their succour, they marched away, under passports, to Beauvais. Shortly after, sir Louis de Vaucourt and sir Regnault de Versailles were met by one called Le Petit Roland, on the road to Senlis, who, though of the same party, from a private quarrel attacked them with the men he was leading to Chantilly; and in the end he defeated and robbed them, making sir Regnault his prisoner. The count de St. Pol, having re-garrisoned St. Valery, gave the command of it to sir Robert de Saveuses. On marching thence, he fixed his quarters at a large village called Blangy, in the county of Eu, with the intent to besiege the castle of Monchas, held by sir Regnault de Fontaines for king Charles. Sir Regnault, not wishing to wait the event of a siege, capitulated with the commissioners of the count to surrender the place on the 15th day . of next October, provided that neither king Charles nor any of his partisans should be in sufficient force to offer him combat on that day before the castle of Monchas, or on the plains of Santhois near to Williers-le-Carbonel, one league distant from Haplain-court. This treaty was confirmed, the 26th day of August, by the count, and hostages given on each side for its due performance. On the last day of this month of August, while the count was encamped near to Blangy, and giving his orders for besieging the castle of Rambures, he was taken suddenly ill, and died almost instantly. His men and all the English captains were grieved at heart for his loss, and retired to the garrisons whence they had come. His household had the body transported to St. Pol, where it was interred in front of the great altar of the abbey-church of Cercamps, of which his ancestors had been the founders. His eldest son, Louis de Luxembourg, then about fifteen years of age, took possession of all his estates and lordships, and thenceforth was styled the Count de St. Pol.


WHILE these things were passing, king Charles resided chiefly at the castle of Chinon, and with him was the lord de la Trimouille, his principal adviser, but who conducted public affairs much to the dissatisfaction of Charles d'Anjou, and many other great lords.

They also hated him from their friendship to the lord d'Amboise viscount de Thouarst, whom he had detained in prison from the time the lord de Lessay and Anthony de Vivonne had been beheaded through his means at Poitiers, and also because the constable, by reason

* Robert, lord Willoughby of Eresby, one of the greatest heroes of the English army, present at the battles of Azincourt and Werneuil, and at almost all the celebrated actions of the day, was in 1432, invested with the title of Earl of Vendome, Beaufort, &c., and died in 1442, leaving only a daughter Joan, the wife of Sir Richard Welles, knight.—Dugdale.

t Louis d'Amboise, Wiscount of Thouars, prince of Fal

mont, &c. &c. had been deprived of his lands for adherence to the English party, but was afterwards restored to them, and served the king of France in his conquest of Guienne. He was grandson of Ingerger, surnamed “the great,” who married Isabel heiress of Thouars, and widow of the marshal de Nesle, and was made prisoner at the battle of Poitiers.

« 前へ次へ »