for him. His examination, taken under oath, and reduced to writing, they herewith submit to the House.

The transaction disclosed by the president's message presents to the minds of the committee conclusive evidence that the British government, at a period of peace, and during the most friendly professions, have been deliberately and perfidiously pursuing measures to divide these states; and to involve our citizens in all the guilt of treason, and the horrors of a civil war. It is not however the intention of the committee to dwell upon a proceeding, which, at all times, and among all nations has been considered as one of the most aggravated character; and which, from the nature of our government, depending on a virtuous union of sentiment, ought to be re. garded by us with the deepest abhorrence.

[Document accompanying the above report]

Friday, March 13. Count Edward de Crillon sworn.This deponent knows Mr. Henry-he dined with him at Mr. Wellesley Pole's, in September, and afterwards at Lord Yarmouth's; met with him also at different fashionable clubs; deponent fell in with Mr. H. subsequently by accident; deponent had ordered his servants to procure him a passage for America ; they met with captain Tracy, of the ship New-Galen, of Boston, at the New-London Coffee House-after agreeing with him on the terms of the passage, captain Tracy applied to deponent to know if he was ready to embark the next day, as the ship would sail on the following morning; deponent said no--that he should send his servants on board, but should take a post-chaise for Portsmouth and pass over to the Isle of Wight, where he should wait for the vessel. On the day following he went accordingly to Portsmouth, but before his departure he received a letter from capt. Tracy, couched in the following terms :-“Sir, you must go to Ryde, where you will find a gentleman called captain Henry, waiting for the New-Galen ; I shall send a boat on shore for both of you.” Deponent went to Ryde, but did not find captain H. there; thence he proceeded to Cowes, and enquired of the American consul “if the New Galen had passed?” fearing that she had sailed without him. The consul informed him that the ship was detained in the Downs by head winds; deponent returnd to Ryde and remained there three weeks alone before captain H. arrived. Captain H. came to him and told him that the ship was badly found, and advised him to go to Liverpool and take the packet; deponent refuses, having paid his passage and his trunks being on board ---captain H. three days after his arrival fell sick, he kept his bed twenty-two days, during which time he was often delirious, frequently uttering the name of Lord Liverpool. The deponent having two servants, one of them attended on Mr. H. during his illness-he was visited by Mr. Powell of Philadelphia, a Mr. Wilkinson, or Dickson, of the British army, and a Mr. Perkins, of Boston; he receiyed above 200 letters from a Boston house, [Higginsons) in Finsley Square, that had lately stopt payment.

He refused to take the letters, giving them to the captain. Mr. H. was also visited by a Mr. Bagholt, who brought him letters from Sir James Craig-Henry refused to receive those let. ters—he recovered from his sickness-deponent occupying the most agreeable house in the place, Henry's physician asked the favor of an apartment for him till he was ready to embark.. After eight weeks detention the wind became fair and the vessel sailed. The day before her departure, Mr. Bagholt arrived at Ryde, with letters from lord Liverpool to Sir George Prevost, and to Mr. Henry, who, when he saw the seal of the letter addressed to him, said, throwing it on the table, “that is a letter from Liverpool; what more does he want of me?” He appeared to be much agitated, and retired to his room. Mr. Bagholt returned that night to London without taking leave : But the wind coming fair the next morning the ship sailed. Mr. Edward Wire, and Mr. West, both of Boston, and a Mrs. Thompson, of London, were passengers in the ship-Henry at first appeared very low spirited, took a cabin to himself and mostly dined alone. In good weather he employed himself in shooting pistols, at which he was very expert. One dark night, about ten o'clock, the witness was walking on deck much dejected, when Henry accosted him_“Count Crillon, (said he) you have not confidence in me; you are unhappy : confide your sorrows to me.” He spoke so kindly that deponent made him in part acquainted with his situation.--He replied, “one confidence deserves another: I will now tell you my situation. I have been very ill treated by the British governmentI was born in Ireland, of one of the first families in that country, poor, because a younger brother-Iwept to America with expectations from an uncle (Daniel M'Cormick, Esq. of New-York) who possesses a large fortune, is old and unmarried." French persecution having exiled from that country many of the respectable families of France. I married a lady of that description, who died and left two daughters without fortune-I applied to the American government, and through the influence of the British minister I was appointed a captain of artillery during Mr. Adams's administration. I had command at Portland and at the fort near Boston, and while in commission I was employed in quelling a meeting or insurrection among the soldiery, and during my continuance in office I gave general satisfaction. But perceiving there was no field for my ambition, I pur. chased an estate in Vermont, near the Canada line, and there studied law for five years without stirring from home. I detested republican government, and I filled the newspapers with essays against it.”

Saturday, March 14, 1812. Count Crillon in continuation.Deponent says that Henry told him in the course of his interview, which he mentioned yesterday, that the severity of his strictures in the public prints against republican government attracted the attention of the British government. “Sir James Craig," continued he, “became desirous of my acquaintance. He invited me to Quebec, where I staid some time. Hence I went to Montreal, where every thing I had to fear, and all I had to hope, was disclosed to me. I went afterwards to Boston, where I established my usual residence. I was surrounded by all the people pointed out to me by the agents who were under my orders. I lived at the exchange coffee house, gave large parties, made excursions into the country, and received an order extraordinary from Sir J. Craig,to dispose of the fieet at Halifax,and of the troops,to further the object of my mission, if required. My devotion to the cause was extreme. I exhausted all my funds. I spent many precious years in the service; and was advised to proceed to London. The gov. ernment treated me with great kindness. I was received in the highest circles ; was complimented with a ticket as a member of the Fitt Club, without being balloted for. And when I had spent all my money, and presented my claims for retribution, the government attempted to cheapen my services, [marchander] to beat me down.-My claims were to the amount of $32,000 sterling. I was told, however, that I should be provided for, by a recommendation to Sir George Prevost, in case I would return to Canada, and continue my mission and services, as before ; and to exercise the same vigilance over the interests of the British government. At the same time, the government appointed a frieud of mine, an Irish gentleman, attorney general for Canada, through my influence.” (Deponent saw this

gentleman at Mr. Gilbert Robertson's, in New-York.] Henry continued" Disappointed in my expectations, I was impatient to proceed to Canads, to sell my estates and my library, and take my revenge against the British government. I knew that if I went to Canada, I must deliver up my dispatches, and that I should afterwards be put off by the government. I therefore determined to retain the documents in my own possession, as the instrument of my revenge. Determined to extricate myself from my embarrassing connexion with the British government, I refused the offer of a passage to Halifax in one of their ships of war; and determined to live privately and retired at Ryde, and take passage in the first vessel that should sail for the United States. This is the cause of

your meeting me at Ryde.".

Deponent represents to Henry, “That England was his legitimate government, that he would render himself the most odious of all characters by betraying it ; that his (the deponent's) government had treated him harshly, and that he then labored under its displeasure, but no consideration should induce him to act against it ; that we must not resent a parent's injuries ; tells him to have patience, and wait for his reward.” Henry then pleaded in his justification the wrongs of his native country, Ireland, inflicted by the British govcrnment.

Henry came down to Washington, and stopped at Tomlinson's, where deponent saw him. He afterwards removed to George Town, to the house of one Davis, an auctioneer, where the deponent visited him every day, and found him always occupied. Deponent waited for his disclosures, not having any disposition to pry into his secrets, but Henry was entirely silent, and incessantly sighing very deeply. On the day of General Blount's funeral, deponent took Henry down to Alexandria, in expectation that he might communicate his projects; but he was still reserved. After dinner they returned, and whilst in the carriage, Henry tells deponent, “ that he has great confidence in him; that he (deponent) has been here some time; and asks his opinion of Mr. Monroe.” Deponent answered, that he was very little acquainted with any body; but thought Mr. Monroe a most virtuous and respectable man.

Deponent remained several days without hearing any thing more, until one morning, at 7 o'clock, Henry came into his apartment, and said, “ Crillon! you must sell me St. Martial, [an estate of the deponent's in Lebeur, near the Spanish frontier) —You have the titlepapers with you. My name will be rescued from oblivion, by living near Crillon, the habitation of your ancestors, and of a man who has been my friend.” Deponent answered, that he had no objection; and, if Henry, on seeing the property, was not satisfied, he would give orders to his agent in France to cancel the bargain. The conveyance was accordingly made. Henry left deponent, when Mr. Brent, to whom Henry was not introduced, came into deponent's apartment. About this time, deponent received four anonymous threatening letters, and was advised by his friends that he was surrounded by spies; but he told them that he had nothing to fearthat he was “sans peur & sans reproche"--[without fear and without reproach.] By one of these letters I was advised to leave the city before 12 o'clock, as a person had just arrived from London with orders to arrest me.---Meanwhile rumors circulated very generally to the deponent's prejudice, and he was under the necessity of vindicating his character, and of correcting the author of those reports. -The message of the President gave the deponent the first intelligence of the true state of the transaction.«

Henry told deponent, that a Mr. Gilvary, or Gillivray, from Quebec, had come to him at New-York, to persuade him to go to Canada; but Henry said, “ he would not-that the Rubicon was passed." -Henry kept the first company at Baston.

Being questioned, if Henry had mentioned the names of any persons with whom he had conferred ? deponent answered, None.

Deponent landed at Boston, December 24, 1811; staid there about ten or twelve days; visited Governor Gerry twice.

Question-Do you know where Henry is now?
Answer-No. By report, I hear he is in New York.

Deponent left Boston in the public stage. Henry was also a passenger. But at New-Haven, deponent took a private carriage to himself.

The Count Edward de Crillon. The report having been read, was, on motion of Mr. Porter, ordered to lie on the table.

[Documents---Continued from No. 21.]

No. 4.
Mr. Russell to the Duke of Baflano.

Paris, 6th May, 1811. I feel it my duty to represent to your excellency, that the American brig Good Intent, from Marblehead, with a cargo of oil, fish, cocoa and staves, bound to Bilboa, was captured in December last by an armed launch in the service of the French government, and carried into Santander. Mr. J. P. Rattier, the consul of his majesty the emperor at that place, has taken possession of the cargo, and sold that part which was perishable, retaining in his hands the proceeds, and placing in depot the articles unsold, until he shall receive the superior orders of his government.

The present flattering appearance that the relations between France and the United States will be preserved on the most amicable footing, encourages me to hope that the case of the Good-Indent, after the long detention that has occurred, will attract the early attention of the French government, and that the property will be restored to the American owner.

I pray your excellency to accept the assurances of my high consideration (Signed)


No. 5. [Translation.]

The Duke de Bassano to Mr. Russell. Sir,

Paris, 25th May, 1811. The object of the letter you have done me the honor to address to me on the 6th of this month, was to remonstrate against the sequestration of the American ship the Good-Intent, which had been carried into St. Andero by a French vessel.

The minister of marine, to whom I hastened to write on this subject, has just answered me, that the case is carried before the council of prizes, which is alone competent to decide on the validity of the capture. He adds, that it is before that tribunal that the owners of the Good-Intent ought to be prepared to establish their rights; and that he will have no other agency in this affair than to cause to be executed the decision which shall be made. Accept, sir, the assurance of my high consideration. (Signed)


No. 6.
Mr. Ruffell to the Duke of Baflano.

Paris, June 2, 1811. By the letter which your excellency did me the honor to address to me on the 25th ultimo, I perceive that the minister of marine de

« 前へ次へ »